1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole home DVR question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by droopdog7, Sep 16, 2011.

1. droopdog7

droopdog7 Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    So I am adding a second HD DVR to my house (just bought a new HD TV!) and am thinking that I could benefit from Whole Home DVR service.

I talked to Directv and actually got conflicting answers. In fact, the first guy wondered why I would want whole home dvr when I will have two dvr in the house already.

The answer is simple. I don't want to have to record important shows on both DVR, just in case my five and seven year olds kick me out of one room. Second, I can kick them out of the room to another one to watch their cartoons if I am having guys over to watch a game or something. With whole home dvr, I could literally double my dvr space. Otherwise, not so much.

So what do I need to be able to get it working. The first rep told me I needed a special dish? The second one said I should be okay. Both DVR will already be hard-wired, since I did that personally. In this case, would I need DTV's Cinema Now kit? Is there another mysterious kit that I might need.

So in essence, I will have two HD DVR's (with an HD dish of course) hard-wired to the internet (cable internet). Am I set or not?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  3. droopdog7

droopdog7 Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks. Before I look into this unsupported upgrade, can you tell me more about coax (deca) networking? Is this something I would have to do on my own if they didn't do it themselves?

Thanks.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Your options might be to have DirecTV do the "connected home" upgrade, or piece it together yourself.

It's based off a SWiM [single wire] dish and looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If your receivers don't have a DECA internally, then the white DECA on the upper right is needed.
    The lower left is the BB DECA to bridge to your home network for internet access.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    To expand on what VOS said, the boxes that have DECA built in are the HR24, H24 and H25.

If you have an HR20-100, it's slightly more complex.

6. droopdog7

droopdog7 Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks. I have an HR20-700 and and as yet to be determined box. I don't mind going the dtv route but it will depend on the cost I suppose.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The -700 doesn't need anything special, just the white DECA [as pictured]

8. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I guess I lucked out, when I made the jump to Whole Home, D* was very generous on the entire upgrade. I was planning on doing the upgrade myself(I know just enough to get myself in trouble, but that's why I belong to this forum:lol:) and using an HR20 and HR21 I had in my setup, D* made me an "offer I could not refuse", so I took them up on their "Pro" install. They rolled out the installer within a few days, the guy was extremely thorough and knowledgable. He couldn't get the older DVRs to work correctly within the DECA/CLOUD so he swapped them both out, NO questions! I ended up with 3 new HD24/100s & a H25/100.:) This WHDVR setup is awesome! Should have upgraded a while ago. Good luck on your upgrade!

9. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    The "unsupported" method isn't exactly complicated. You just connect your DVR up to your home network.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "The only thing" that may be complicated is troubleshooting a problem, since it's going to totally be "on you".

"Any idiot" [like me] can plug in the ethernet cables, but may not be able to figure out what is wrong when it doesn't work.

11. droopdog7

droopdog7 Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    So it looks like DTV wants to charge me $200 for the whole home upgrade. That's much more than I want to pay so I will likely pass.

Interestingly, the CS agent suggested I ask the installer what he had in his truck, as if she is encouraging me to make a deal directly with the guy.

Been with DTV 15 years and this is the thanks that I get.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Considering that an HD-DVR is normally $199.00 and another $199.00 for WHDVR installation, thats not *too* bad of a deal, from a first level CSR anyhow. But if you have indeed been with DIRECTV 15 years and have a good payment history (I've been one 16 years myself :) ) give the Retention dept. a try and see what better deals they can do for you.

Just call DIRECTV and say "cancel service" when the voice prompt ask what you are calling about. And remember to always remain clam and courteous with the classic "kill'em with kindness" strategy.

13. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    My first call about upgrading to Whole-Home was not what I expected, about $350, never the less, I called back 20 minutes later and ask a few more ??? regarding price when the new CSR "researched" my account, then hooked me up with a much better deal. They actually reduced the amount to $100 and threw in credits and new equip.-not what I expected after my 1st call. Soooo call back, you never know? IMO, the Retention thing doesn't pan-out anymore, they may just let ya leave.....:eek2: GOOD LUCK

14. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Droopdog7 just connect your dvr's with the unsupported method using your homenetwork (router). I've been using whole home dvr using hardwired ethernet cables since the service came out and i've never experienced one single issue.

15. droopdog7

droopdog7 Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks all. I ended calling back and getting retention. Getting everything hooked up for free on Wednesday. Why I didn't do this before this recent service call I don't know?

What I am realizing though is that MVR will indeed be very useful (and probably necessary) in my situtation.

16. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Great news man! Enjoy Whole-Home, we certainly love it!
    Hopefully, they(D*) will get that unified "To Do List" added to go with the combined Playlist of DVR's so many of us are asking for and make the WHOLE-HOME thing even better!!!!!!. One can wish. :)

17. Wedgecon

Wedgecon AllStar/Supporter

Jul 13, 2002
    My problem is that I can not get DirecTV to activate the whole home dvr service even unsupported.

I live in a apartment complex that gives me 3 drops from a slim 5 dish connected to a legacy multiswitch and I have BBC's on both DVR's.

One DVR has 2 tuners and one has 1 tuner.

I have both DVR's hooked to via Ethernet cable to a gigabit switch.

I have called DirecTV several times in the last couple of days and even talked to the retention department but they say a new rule was just put into place that says nobody is now allowed to hook up whole home without SWM and DECA, no exceptions.

Supposdley they are putting an "audit" system in place to fire any employee who attmepts to circumvent this rule.

I assume all CSR's lie so I don't know what to do. I can not change my wiring and switch setup but I want to use whole home.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Check the link in post #2.
    The email method may be the way to go.

19. Wedgecon

Wedgecon AllStar/Supporter

Jul 13, 2002
    Thanks, I just went and did that, lets hope for the best.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Might take a couple "of rounds", but someone did get it working not that long ago.