1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home DVR Service-HR-24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by szls188, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1 of 37
    szls188

szls188 New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    I love new Technology and when I checked out the new HR-24 on this site that was somthing I wanted so I called DTV to get whole home DVR service and upgrade to a HR 24 I was told that they could not guarantee I would get a 24 it could be a 22 or a 23 DTV said if I want an HR-24 I would have to purchases one from Sams Club or Costco. I have been DTV customer for over 10 years I know how the game works but they would not budge.
    has anyone else had this problem?

2. Jul 9, 2010 #2 of 37
    xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    That is always the case from everything I have read here. I am new to D* and had my install done on 7/2. I ordered the Whole Home DVR service (and later added the ICK) and had them note that I requested the HR24, but they told me they could not guarantee anything.

When the installers showed up the first thing that they mentioned was that they had the two latest models to install for me (one HR24 and one H24) so it worked out for me, but I was a new customer so that may be slightly different.

3. Jul 9, 2010 #3 of 37
    Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    Yes, I signed up a few days ago with an installation on 07/14/10. The CSR said she could not promise an HR24-500 (as was promised when I called in June). I told her OK to the installation, but if they come with anything but an HR24, I'm calling it off.

She said it's up to the installer. For some reason Direct TV will NOT give you the number of your local installer. I had a old number that I tried to call and I left a message, but no return call.

Normally I at least get a call from DTV "confirming" the appointment. Not even a confirmation call. This is weird.

4. Jul 9, 2010 #4 of 37
    xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    I think my confirmation call was like two or 3 days before the install. Did you sign up for WHDVR or the Connected Home feature?

5. Jul 9, 2010 #5 of 37
    Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    Yes, I think. Right now I'm using a hardwired ethernet connection to my main DVR (which I only connect at bedtime because I have to run a 22' cord from my router to my HR23 in my den) and in my bedroom I'm using a wireless thingy. I just have two connected. But, it's slow and you cannot RECORD on the other DVR (just see what's on the LIST)..

So, since I have multiple DVR's and am already paying the $3 x month, I signed up for the "real" system - SWM? DECA, etc.

I currently have three HR20-700's and my main room has an HR23-700. I need a DVR like the HR23/HR24 that has a larger hard drive. If they try to give me a 20/21/22, I will not accept it. Aarg .. and that would be bad because they already billed my credit card.

6. Nov 9, 2011 #6 of 37
    bmaldon

bmaldon New Member

Nov 9, 2011
    I had the same issue of not being guaranteed to get the latest HD DVR model and after a few transfers through various customer service people, they directed me to the link below. You can order the specific model you want. The dealer ships directly to you and then you call DirecTV to activate.

solidsignal.com

7. Nov 9, 2011 #7 of 37
    debell

debell Godfather

Nov 6, 2011
    Be careful, some on this site frown upon you wanting the latest technology offered by DirecTV. Most on here think you should just "take what you can get" and be quiet.

8. Nov 9, 2011 #8 of 37
    wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    actually debell i believe several people here directed you to this very same site???

9. Nov 9, 2011 #9 of 37
    debell

debell Godfather

Nov 6, 2011
    I'm not talking about the site, I'm talking about him wanting the latest receiver from DirecTV and them responding that they can't provide it.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Well that is the current business model and that is one of the only ways around it...

Directv as standard practice does not let you cherrypick the models you receive..and have very little control of it in their current inventory system, you can order HD DVR's, HD receivers, SD receivers, SD DVRs, the specific model is not part of the equation...if unacceptable you use one of the other methods to guarantee you get what you want, or you choose another provider that meets your needs, end of story.

11. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    The CSRs have no control over the equipment inventory. If you read through the dozens of threads here on similar subjects it'll be obvious that the way the equipment is managed does not permit them to ensure that a particular model will be on the truck when the installer arrives at your door.

Directv essentially treats all models in a certain class as being equivalent. So for dispatch purposes, a HR22, HR23 and HR24 are all the same thing.

For those that absolutely must have a certain model, you can ask the installer when they call 20-30 minutes before arriving if they have the model you want. If they say no, cancel the appointment.

12. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    First off DBSTalk has a wealth of information and on this very tired topic. The people who know little about Directv or all the info here would not know A from Adam when they get their system installed, I bet they are happy. It seems the complainers who do not get the newest receivers already knew how the lease of equipment works and the possibility of older equipment may be used. I cannot see the waste of time and money spent on people who have turned away an installer, and claimed failed equipment when its not...to name a few. We here did not create the "take what you can get" or take what you get lease plan.

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A shorter answer will be who hasn't.

You really want a HR24, then be a pain in the you know what of you know who.

14. debell

debell Godfather

Nov 6, 2011
    You mean "gaming the system"? That's how some of the DirecTV fanboys on here refer to it. Be careful what you say!

15. o0nephsbirth0o

o0nephsbirth0o Cool Member

Nov 5, 2011
    lol literally yeah...if you ask for the reciever to be sent to you from DTV then yeah you never know what your gonna get (its like a box of chocolates >.<) but the technician would have a better control of that if you ask them...IF you had the tech install option

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    By the way ... :welcome_s

17. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    You are very correct. When I ordered DTV, I never gave it a second thought as to what equipment I would get. It was not until I started reading about installations and DVR's that I found out about the HR24 and the H25. That's when I began to hope that I would get those models, but that would not have been a deal breaker. When the installer showed up, that's what he had with him. I did know that I was getting a slimline dish.

18. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    you dont know when to quit with the name calling do you ? your other thread got locked down now you gonna continue with the name calling in this thread. Its only TV man. Directv obviously isnt for you why not move on, everyone that disagrees with you isnt a fanboy.

19. debell

debell Godfather

Nov 6, 2011
    The other thread got locked down because there was nothing left to discuss. I'm simply making a point to the TS that some on here will frown upon you for expecting a new box when you order it/request it from DTV. :rolleyes:

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You're pushing your agenda, nothing more. The topic starter made their post over a year ago.