1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whole home DVR set up hardware

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by woody, Dec 23, 2012.

1. woody

woody Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Greetings,

I have read a bit with regards to d* whole home dvr service. $3 a month seems reasonable. but I need some help deciding what to buy on my end prior to calling d* to activate.

I have 2 DVRs, HR21 and R22. HR21 is set up with dual tuner, R22 just has a single tuner set up. Both are connected to internet via hardwired connection to wireless ethernet bridge. And both have external eSATA drives connected to them.

If I have read correctly on the internet, do I just need to buy two of the following, each for my DVRs?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041INCYI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A1ORIL9Q4PU8E9

and I would forego the current internet connection for both, and just use the DECA adapter? is that correct? if someone can let me know if that is the hardware I would need, I'd greatly appreciate it. Last but not least, all DVRs have b band convertors connected to them. Thank you very much in advance.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    under no circumstances will DirecTV activate WHDVR in your account. you don't meet the minimum requirements. to activate WHDVR, you need at least 1 HHDVR (you have) and one HD receiver (you don't have) The R2 is an odd ball receiver and does not count towards the minimum requirements

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    :welcome_s

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You don't need an HD receiver if you use two HRs.

Rich

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But he doesn't have two HD DVRs. His second one is an R22, which while he can watch HD content on it and for all intents and purposes is an HR21, to DirecTVs system is still an SD DVR.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Minimum is one HD DVR and one HD receiver.
    Two HD DVRs exceeds the minimum.
    The "fly in the ointment" is the R22, which is listed as a SD DVR, but functions as an HD DVR, if the HD service is part of the account.

7. woody

woody Cool Member

May 15, 2008
  8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Don't go out and buy anything. Call DirecTV and ask them how much for the Whole Home DVR upgrade.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how little they will charge you to make it all happen for you.

9. woody

woody Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Hi Jimmie,

Thanks for the reply. The one time I did call, which was a whole ago, d* had wanted $99 for the installation. From what I read, if it really is that simple of just getting a couple of these so called DECAs and installing it myself without any involvement of the dish, I am all for it, as ordering two DECAs out the door would be $16, versus $99 on d* end.

If there's some negotiating tactics that would drop the d* install to close to $16, please let me know. I will be all over that if that is the case. Thanks.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You've got two limiting factors here:

1. Since your R22 is running single tuner mode, it doesn't sound like you have a SWiM system. DECA only works with a SWiM.
    2. Since the R22 isn't listed as an HD receiver/DVR, the DirecTV system can't add MRV to your account.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They will probably change out your dish to a SWM and possibly upgrade the R22 to an HD something. This should also include hooking the receivers up to the internet if you have it available.

Call again and ask what all they intend to do for the price they give you.

12. woody

woody Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I wanted to do it via the most economical way. As my hr21 is dual tuner, wouldn't that mean that I have swm?

The other thing, as one of the above post said, that r22 really is a hddvr in disguise, and perhaps not many people know about it. As long as you have some hddvr package, you can have r22 piggyback off that package and turn it into a hddvr, which I am currently using at this time. So both of the DVRs that I have at home are hddvr, fwiw. I'm just afraid that d* will charge me an arm and a leg to switch out dish, or my r22, of which I actually own. As I do not want to spend a lot of money and perhaps just the DECAs to achieve whole home dvr. Thanks!

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Does your HR21 have two coax?
    If so, then it isn't SWiM.
    You wouldn't need to have the R22 in single tuner mode if you had a SWiM.
    "Next"
    we've known about how the R22 works in HD since it was unlocked for it several years ago.
    What is the problem is, DirecTV's system can't add MRV to a customer's account that only has a HR21 & R22, since the R22 is listed as a SD DVR.
    If sucks, but that's the way it is.

14. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Woody, when I wanted Whole Home MRV, they made me get another "H" receiver. I had 2 R22's. In fact, they would not turn on HD for me without another "H" receiver.

The bad part for me was that I had run it flawlessly on my home network when we were Beta testing Whole Home. But once it went live, you had to have DTV authorize it, and they would not authorize it for 2 R22's.

15. woody

woody Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Thanks guys for the replies again. Hmm, I may have to rethink of whole home d r then. I may still call d* to see how much would it cost. I am more worried about them wanting me to commit for new 2 yrs contract, as I have fulfilled my term. I may just stick with my current set up, as the r22 has a 1tb external and hr21 just got a new 2tb attached to it few days ago.

16. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    I wouldn't start with "...how much will it cost..". Try and get them to provide the equipment and install to "retain" you. If you hunt around on this site, you'll see some get very good deals while others don't. But it is free to ask.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Replacing the R22 would mean a new contract.

18. woody

woody Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Yeah that might be a deal breaker for me. But I might just check with them just to see what kind of deals they would offer. Thanks again all for your input. Merry Christmas!

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I got that before I posted. What I should have said was ditch the R22 and get an HR. My bad.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Even tho it's owned? Yeah, I guess that would be an upgrade.

Rich