1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home DVR upgrade: How to get what you want at a good price

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by The_Bman, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 #1 of 38
    The_Bman

The_Bman New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I called DirecTV today thinking I knew what I wanted and roughly how much it might cost. I was very disappointed. So I'm looking for advice on what equipment to expect / ask for and what price I should haggle for.

Here's what I have:

HR20-100 (connected to 3Mbps DSL via wireless-G)
    HR10-250
    R10
    D10
    Dish and switch: not sure how to tell

Here's what I want:

At least 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers
    (Prefer 3 HR24s + 1 H24, swapping out all 4)
    Whole Home DVR
    Wired internet connectivity for fast On Demand downloads

I was quoted $477 and change for Whole Home DVR installation + HD DVR upgrade cost to get 2 new HR20s or higher and 1 new HD receiver and keeping my HR20, with no guarantee that the new receivers would be HR/H24's.

Would love some advice on the best config to go with and how to get the best price from DTV.

Thanks for any help!

2. Nov 9, 2010 #2 of 38
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Wow and I got mine for Less than $400 with a SWM16, 2 HR24s, 2 HR23s and a DECA Module for my Router. I think I actually paid $275.

WOW, I guess alot of Dish Folks are moving to Directv and they are running out of equipment so when Demand is more than Directv can handle because Dish is Screwing Up Royally they can Increase the Price Structure.

Glad I Got In Early!!!

3. Nov 9, 2010 #3 of 38
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    WHDVR upgrade is now $199. This would cover the dish/LNB upgrade, any DECAs required (at least one for your current HR20, splitters, and a Cinema Connection Kit. With what you asked for, it seems that they gave you an HD-DVR for $99, a second for $99, and a receiver for $50 or so. With taxes and shipping, that would run around $477.

You can call back and try to get a better deal, but looking at everything you are getting, it doesn't look that bad. With just the WHDVR upgrade, your HR10 and R10 are normally swapped for R16's and the D10 would be swapped for a D12. So, you are upgrading 2 receivers to HD-DVR's and a SD receiver to HD for $275 or so.

Upgrade costs all depend on account history, current credits and the CSR you end up talking to.

- Merg

4. Nov 9, 2010 #4 of 38
    dwolner

dwolner Cool Member

Apr 7, 2009
    He may get an R22 for his R10. I received one unexpectedly for my R15. Will full MRV and On Demand capabilities at the R22, this was a more than acceptable "free" swap as far as I was concerned.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    While that is true, those swaps are few and far between. The R16 is currently in production and is being used for most swap-outs for SD-DVR's.

- Merg

6. The_Bman

The_Bman New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    So I called back today with a new plan and I will end up with this:

HR20-100 (existing)
    HR20+ (upgraded)
    R16+ (upgraded)
    H20+ (upgraded to HD)

with Whole Home DVR installed for $235.92. So I'll live with 2 HD DVRs, 1 HD receiver and 1 standard DVR (don't have an HDTV for this room yet anyway) for now. Perhaps upgrade the standard DVR at a later date.

Oh, and the rep gave me HD free for 24 months when I asked about the HD-free-for-life that new customers are getting. So that essentially paid for this upgrade (though it did come with a 24-mo agreement).

We'll see how installation goes on Monday. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    So, you got a SD-DVR upgraded to a HD-DVR and a SD receiver upgraded to a HD receiver for about $35 (since the Whole Home Upgrarde is $199)? Not too shabby... Congrats!

- Merg

8. The_Bman

The_Bman New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Actually, I upgraded a D10 to an H24 (free). The other upgrades were same def upgrades - HR10 to HR24 and R10 to R16.

Install took a good 4.5 hours this morning. Not sure I had the brightest tech. 3 rooms are now doing MRV fine, it seems (HR20, HR24, H24).

One problem -- the R16 doesn't do MRV -- so I can't see recordings on it from the other 2 HD DVRs. I wasn't aware of that. I thought at the time of my sales call that the rep was upgrading that receiver to make it compatible for MRV. If the R16 doesn't do MRV, why'd they give me that one? The tech called D* and let me speak to the rep. That rep said D* assumes people don't want to swap a DVR for regular receiver (e.g. H24) just to get MRV and that it would have cost me $99 to do that anyway. Would have been nice if the original rep had asked when I ordered.

Question: Can a standard-def DVR do MRV (I've seen R22 mentioned)? If so, why wouldn't D* have upgraded me to an R22 instead of an R16?

I don't have an HDTV in that room yet, but I did want MRV in there. It's next on my list for a new TV and it might happen this Christmas. So I'd even take an H24 in there so it could do MRV.

Looks like I'll be calling D* back...

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, your HR10 to the HR24 was an upgrade as the HR10 is only considered to be a SD-DVR at this point.

As for the R16, what you got was the correct swap-out. All SD receivers and SD-DVRs are swapped out to make them SWiM-compatible, which is not the same as MRV compatible. Of the SD receviers and SD-DVRs, only the D12 and R16 are SWiM-compatible.

The R22 is a little bit of an exception. While it is an SD-DVR, it is basically the same as an HR21 and if activated on an account that has HD access, it essentially becomes an HD-DVR. However, the R22 is not in production anymore and the chances that you get an SD-DVR swapped out to an R22 are very little. Obviously, those that get it are pleasantly surprised, but it does not happen very often.

- Merg

10. faithbuilder

faithbuilder New Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Dude dont pay out what you dont hafta geesh ,i just got a qoute for 155.72 there going to swap my 2 hd h20's for 2 more compatable ones i already have hdvr 22 and hddvr20 ,there going to setup directopc plus all deco switches swm dish the whole enchalada for me this wed 11/24/10 got my fangers crossed on the right tech to install hope it gose ok but for the price cant be beat they also changed my local hd chanels saving me 7 bucks and gave me starz for 3 months free im swimming in chocolate now cant wait whdvr, tv on pc, on demand gunna be awesome . Im prepared though i always expect lumps in me gravy especially before a holliday , but maby things will turn out smooth wish me the best ill get back let ye know how it turned out .

11. Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    Do you need to have the internet to have MRV? I don't have the internet at my house other than a wireless data card. I've been considering adding MRV, but wondered if it required an internet connection.

Thanks in advance!

12. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    While you might be getting the DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit, which will make DirecTV2PC possible, don't expect a tech to touch your PC.

You don't need an internet connection for MRV. (Whole Home DVR Service) However, the internet connection facilitates DirecTVCinema Plus(on Demand including some PPV) , TV Apps, Media Share, and DirecTV2PC.

13. revm1m

revm1m AllStar

Jul 2, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I have 3 HRs (2HR 21, 1HR 22). I am planing to add another HR for my bedroom. Can I just activate HomeDVR for $3.99? Or do I need to get the whole home DVR and how much would it be ? I have internet connected to all my receivers.

14. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Whole Home DVR service is $3/month. For questions about activating "unsupported" service, see this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590

15. revm1m

revm1m AllStar

Jul 2, 2006
    Wisconsin
    thanks

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No you don't need to have any internet connection. Your HD DVRs and HD receivers just need to be connected to each other or to a switch.

17. dcon67

dcon67 New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Hmmmm... I just priced it out to do it DIY through Weaknees, and it comes to about $450.00.

HR24-500 (to replace SD DTivo)- $199
    SWiM8 - $129
    Deca (for existing HR23) - $49
    Deca Router pkg - $68

I almost pulled the trigger. But it sounds like it might be worth calling to see if I can get a deal direct.

18. dcon67

dcon67 New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Glad I didn't do that!! It took a couple of calls, but I got a MUCH better deal doing the upgrade through DirectTV directly. Just have to cross my fingers for the HR24.

19. loudog2

loudog2 AllStar

Jun 22, 2006
    I think it is a better deal to go through directv. Doing it DIY would cost more money. I just don't like to have to commit to a 2 year contract to get it done. That's the only thing holding me back. We just had a baby and start daycare soon, which costs a ton. I don't want to be held to anything if I have to cut back expenses.

Anyone get it without agreeing to a 2 year deal?

20. dwenn

dwenn Legend

Oct 26, 2006
    We have an HR20-700 and an old Phillips D* / Tivo.
    The Phillips is dying. So we called to see about a replacement. They offered the whole home set up which after years of being on here and a software tester I haven't been around so I knew very little about. (Hence why I am back to find out more now)
    They first offered the set up but I thought the install ($199) with no second DVR just a receiver, was pricey since it wasn't what we really NEEDED even though it sounds great.

In the end they offered a fair price to swap out the receiver and set up the whole home. Install is on Monday so I'll let you know if it goes as I think and how it ends up.

We use Direct2PC now on our home network and wonder if that will change with this new set up. Seems as though it will.