1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whole Home DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by quattro40v, Jun 9, 2012.

1. quattro40v

quattro40v Cool Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I just got another HR24 and H25. They also activated Whole Home DVR. I was surprised to learn that only the H25 allows you to select which DVR you would like to record onto. I am unable to do this on either HR24. For example, the HR24 in the living room is independent from the HR24 in my master bedroom in terms of scheduling recordings. I was hoping that I could select which DVR I want to record onto as the one in the living room is getting close to capacity and be able to only use one DVR to schedule recordings and have the ability to delegate onto which unit they will record.

Am I missing something or is it supposed to be this way?

2. quattro40v

quattro40v Cool Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Another question I have is if the system is intelligent enough to automatically record onto the second HR24 once the primary reaches capacity?

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're not missing anything & no it isn't that intelligent.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    This is working as designed. H series receivers can choose where to record HR series always records locally.

The DVR's do not communicate to set up recordings when one is full, they work independently of each other.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you can however use a smartphone or tablet or the DirecTV.com website to schedule recordings to other DVRs