1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home Genie & HD-DVR Networking Setup Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by BetterThanMost, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    Just got an HR-34. I am also keeping my HR-22 and want to set them up to be able to share playlists. I have a wireless CCK that is attached to the HR-34 at present.

Do I need a DECA for the HR-22?

Does the HR-34 need the wireless CCK, or can I move that to the HR-22 to complete the connection between the two?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The 22 does need a DECA.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And if the CCK that you currently have has a pass through where a coax can be connected on both ends, you can use that as a DECA for your HR22. Put it in-line with the HR22 and connect an Ethernet cable from the HR22 to the CCK. If you have an Ethernet connection near the HR34, you can connect that as well and then you won't need to use the wireless capability in the CCK to bridge the coax network to your home network. Basically, you would be using the CCK just as a DECA for a receiver.

Also, don't forget that you need Whole Home turned on in your account as well in order to share playlists and use MRV.

- Merg

4. BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. There is no Ethernet connection near the HR34, so the WCCK will have to stay there. I would need just one DECA for the HR-22, but wouldn't need a second to connect to the router, correct?

And yes, I need to turn WH on to share playlists and use MRV.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can still move the CCK over to the HR22 to act as the DECA. Just continue to use the CCK wirelessly as well to connect back to your router. That way you only have the one CCK for connecting to your home network and it will also act as a DECA for the HR22.

- Merg

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And also don't forget that if you're going to use the CCK-W as a receiver DECA that way, to insert a DECA Band Stop Filter (BSF) in line between the CCK-W and the HR22's satellite input. Since unlike an actual receiver DECA module, the through-line connection of the CCK-W will not block the strong DECA from reaching the HR22's satellite input and potentially causing interference to it.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm not so sure about that. I believe the point of the CCK-W with the pass-through was specifically so that it could be used as a DECA and a CCK at the same time. I don't remember reading anything that talked about using a BSF when using a CCK-W as a DECA. The idea of the pass-through was so that it could be placed anywhere on the coax network and not need a splitter or another coax to install it.

- Merg

8. BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    Awesome. Thanks for the help, everyone.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I know VOS has mentioned this a number of times;

But anyway it stands reason, the coax through-line connection of a CCK-W must pass both satellite SWiM and DECA (MoCA) signals if it is to have the flexibility of being placed at any convenient point on a satellite coax run.

Therefore if used as a receiver DECA to an HR22 or other older receiver preceding the H/HR24s, what prevents the DECA signal from reaching the receiver's satellite input and potentially causing interference to the SWiM signal?

And I think the coax through-line option for the CCK-W is mainly to allow freedom of it's movement where it may be placed in any convenient coax run of a customer's installed cable plant. Such flexibility is especially important for wireless devices so it can be located at whatever convenient point in a household that will give best reception where a satellite coax is nearby.

The WVB for the new C41W is designed with a coax pass through connection this way for much the same reasons I imagine.

Also AIUI, the ability to use of the CCK-W as a receiver DECA is officially an unsupported hookup, which few DIRECTV installers are even aware of.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Point taken. That does make sense.

- Merg