1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whole home issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by gopherfanT, Oct 23, 2012.

1. gopherfanT

gopherfanT New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I'm having a problem and I hope someone can help. A few months ago we had someone come out and install whole home for us. We have 3 HD boxes, 2 are DVR's and one is not. I would like to move one of the DVR's to the TV that currently has the non DVR hooked up to it. As soon as I unplug the DVR to move it, the TV upstairs (also connected to a DVR) goes out and doesn't work. Once I moved the DVR and got it hooked up to the TV, neither TV worked and both said they couldn't connect to the satellite. I connected it the exact same to the new box as it was to the old box. As soon as I connect it back to the old TV like it was before, the TV upstairs works again. Any ideas???

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. gopherfanT

gopherfanT New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Yes, the one I am trying to move has that connected. Does it make sense that when I unplug that, all the TV's go out? If so, why when I move it to the different TV and hook everything back up, neither TV works?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That is the power for the dish, and can only be connected to the coax that is connected to the power passing port on the splitter.
    Leave the PI in place and swap the receivers.

5. gopherfanT

gopherfanT New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    So I can't keep that connected to the DVR, move it with the DVR and connect it to the new coax line at the new location? I was hoping to get rid of the non DVR box completely, and move the DVR that this is connected to, to that other TV. When I try this, neither DVR in the house works, it says not connected to satellite.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Leave the power inserter in it's original location. Remove the coax that was running to the DVR from it and put on a Terminator where it was connected to the power inserter. Edit: I could not find one on the Radio Shack site. Here is what one looks like on the Solid Signal site. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...lker-75-ohm-Terminator-(1-Terminator)-(SPTERM)

Take just the DVR to the new room.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As VOS stated, the issue is that the PI is used to power your dish. If you move it, it needs to be on a coax that is connected to the red power pass-thru port on any splitter that coax is connected to. If you are removing a receiver permanently from the location where the PI currently is, you will need to move the new coax that the PI is connected to the same port and that the PI was originally connected.

- Merg

8. gopherfanT

gopherfanT New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. All coax lines that run to the different rooms in the house homerun in the basement, where the splitter is. Without looking at it, am I correct to assume that there is something in that room, at the splitter that the coax line where the PI currently is, is plugged into? To fix my issue, I can move the DVR and PI to the new location and then plug the correct coax line into that piece by the splitter, correct?

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It's not an extra piece. On the splitter itself, there should be a little red line that states DC power pass through and it points to one port on the splitter. Make sure that the coax that the PI is connected to is plugged into that port on the splitter.

- Merg

10. gopherfanT

gopherfanT New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Got it. Thanks!