1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whole home networking

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MrDad0330, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    I have the standard home set up with 3 HR/dvrs and 2 HD receivers connected, I want to put another into my grand daughters bedroom, how many receivers can i connnect in a deca cloud? I like the way I can access my dvr's with my std HD receivers but am I still good to ad another line

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You need to upgrade to an SWM16 to add another box. You are using all 8 channels currently.

3. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You're at 8 tuners and if you have a SWM 8 you are maxed out. If you add another receiver they'll need to switch you to a SWM 16 and reconfigure things a bit.

You might have a little extra expenses for the installation, but you won't have any trouble with it.

4. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Thanks guys for your response....No, i have the swm system so i am currently using 5 cables into the the green labeled splitter,if thats what its called. Three go to my HR receivers and the other two lines go to my H series units.. I do see three unused ports though.

5. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    So I guess the 8 port splitter is my SWM-8. So the ports that are going to my HR's cound as two even though its only one cable? So in other words even though I have three unused ports, they are no longer in play?

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Right", it's not the cables or the type of splitter, but the number of "tuners" connected. All SWiMs are limited to eight max on each output.
    The SWiM-16 has two outputs.

7. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Veryoldschool, thanks but now im confused..forgive my lack of understanding.. the swm8 that i have does currently have 5 cables connected to its 8 total ports...but 3 of those ports have lines going to dvrs (2 tuners) and 2 go to std hd recievers. So, i have 3 empty ports but with the five lines goint out, 8 total tuners are in play
    3 dvr's = 6 tuners
    2 hd H series = 2 tuners...so what you are saying that the three empty ports i see unused cannot be used...??

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That is exactly it.
    The splitter is "dumb", and merely passes the signals.
    The SWM8 has three chips that can only output 9 channels. One is for the guide, leaving the other eight channels for tuners. Each tuner must have its own channel, so eight tuners is all a SWM8 can support. Connecting a ninth means it would have to share with another tuner and this doesn't work.

9. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    ok, got it..so when i can "D" for the tuner, will they understand i need this upgrade, you know how some CSR's are... and with the swm-16 all my recievers will work together in my decca cloud as they do now execpt there will be an additional tuner..
    Hey thanks again for your help in making me understand this..