1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whole home question.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by djwww98, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1 of 20
    djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm not able to watch in one room, pause, and start watching in another room.
    HR44-200 located in living room.
    HR24-100 located in bedroom.
    From the living room, I can see and play anything located on either DVR. From the bedroom, I cans see and play anything located on either DVR. I can also delete anything on either DVR from either location. So far so good.
    If I start watching a recorded program in the living room, hit pause, and go into the bedroom, call up the list, select that same show that I was just watching, hit resume, shouldn't it start playing right where I left off? It doesn't. It starts at the beginning. Am I missing something?

2. Apr 6, 2014 #2 of 20
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Use Stop instead of pause and it works.

3. Apr 6, 2014 #3 of 20
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Or exit if he's on the genie. It power it off. Just has to stop playback in some way.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #4 of 20
    djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    I messed with it for awhile but didn't try that. Figured it could be just some small thing I was missing. Thanks.

5. Apr 6, 2014 #5 of 20
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    When you go to the other room go to list and select the program and then select "Resume".

6. Apr 6, 2014 #6 of 20
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the TS did that, but PAUSE does not insert bookmark as EXIT or STOP does.

7. Apr 6, 2014 #7 of 20
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And sorry if the TS was perhaps thrown off by information popularized by the old DIRECTV Whole Home commercial aired awhile ago which caused the mistaken impression among many that "pause and resume" from different locations was possible with WH instead of the correct "stop and resume." :nono:

8. Apr 6, 2014 #8 of 20
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Lots of commercials give the wrong impression. Except maybe that it really is possible to tow a space shuttle with a pickup.

9. Apr 6, 2014 #9 of 20
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well they actually did tow the shuttle. But that wasn't as hard as it sounds really. For that particular situation anyway.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I don't know why they did that in the commercial. I think that the way that it was implemented was the correct way. IMO, Stop makes much more sense than Pause. To me, when a program is paused in a given room, it implies that someone is going to continue watching it in that same room. But, when the program is stopped, that implies that the person has finished watching the program (either in that room or completely).

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Did the commercial use the words "hit the pause button in one room" or similar? Hitting stop, leaving the channel, turning the set off, all effectively pause the program- i.e.. it's marked where you left it.
    Anyway, it was long ago, no?

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The commercial said " you can pause the show and continue on another room"

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't think DirecTV had another way to do it.
    A DVR can only stream one show, and at the time the common customer setup was "a DVR" and receivers, so if you're using a receiver and want to move to another room [with a receiver] you must "stop" so the DVR's one stream can be used in the next room.
    For consistency, the DVR should work the same way.
    The commercial "could have been" worded better, but it did get the idea across, which was its point.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Indeed it did. Just because you can't use the Pause button to do so seems a tiny point but one that does seem to rankle some.

15. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    ...and it does sound a bit counter-intuitive to say, "You can pause the show in one room and pick right back up in the next room by hitting the stop button""

There really wasn't an elegant way to state it, other than the way they did, and as VOS noted, not another way to implement it, either.

The problem has always been the word "Pause", because it is button, and a concept, and in this case, they don't correlate very well.

16. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I don't know if it bothers many people. But it definitely confuses some people when they are new to the service. This certainly isn't the first thread in which the same question has been asked.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Agree with you, Bill. The question is a good one. It's only a very few who want to make an issue over the wording or call foul on misleading advertising.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    +1

19. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    "You can stop watching a recording in one room, and resume watching in another." Sounds elegant enough to me.

Then again, I've never had an issue with understanding how it all worked properly until I added a Genie into the mix. Every so often I "stop" watching a show on the Genie (by pausing on the new remote and exiting to live TV) and when I use the previous button, the show starts at the beginning again. But, never really an issue since I can find where I left off pretty quickly.

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    leave this to "us" the pros who don't get tangled up in word games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk