1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whole Home System Causes Loss of Internet Connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mjg, May 13, 2013.

1. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    My equipment: DECA connected to Westell Modem/router, HR24x2 and HR20/deca all connected to a SWM Slimline 3 LNB. WIN7 computer.

My problem: When the Deca is connected to the modem/router, I will frequently and randomly lose my network and/or my internet connection. Sometimes, Windows Network and Sharing center will show just the internet connection is gone, sometimes it also shows my network connection is gone. When this happens, the yellow warning triangle appears on the network icon on the task bar . Power cycling the modem will re-establish connection and it may stay good for hours before dropping again.

It seems like I never sit down to the computer and find the problem. It seems like the connection only drops when actually navigating to a new web page. I'll be going along just fine then, out of the blue, "page cannot be found" screen and the network warning triangle appears.

The problem is consistent. With the DECA connected, my network and internet are unreliable. With the DECA disconnected, my network and internet connections are rock solid.

I am hoping someone smarter than me has the answer!

Thanks.
    Mike

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are you using a wireless DECA or a DECA BB

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Think I'm going down the same path.
    The router doesn't like the DECA "whatever".
    This might be a case for static IPs outside the DHCP reserve range, or maybe just an incompatibility with the router's firmware.

4. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    It is wired (DECAA1MR0-01)

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Are the lights on the two DECAs green? CCK and HR20 DECAs.

6. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    yes, all 3 leds on both DECA's are green.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Try another port on the router or a temporary known good cable.

8. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    Just tried that, same results. I'm going to try taking the HR20/deca out of the loop and see how that goes.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unless disconnecting either the 24 or the DECA on the 20 fixes it, try a different router or possibly a firmware upgrade.

10. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    Removing the DECA/HR20 didn't help

11. norwestie

norwestie New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    West Linn, OR
    I had the same problem with my setup, albeit a little different. I have the HR34/700 connected to 2 HD DVRs and an HD receiver. When my ethernet network died, I tried various diagnostics. Eventually disconnecting the network connection to DTV system. Internet restored. I had just had the Genie installed so I called DTV and installed the wifi device. That seemed to solve the issue. I am relieved that I am not alone with this problem.

12. dondude32

dondude32 Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    Had the same problem with westell 7500. Put modem in bridge mode and connect a compatible router was my solution.

13. thewiremasters

thewiremasters New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Are any of your directv receivers connected to the Ethernet network by accident?
    That would cause a loop and bring down the network
    I have seen this on one of my jobs

1 person likes this.
  14. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    Sounds like a logical solution. I may have snag a new router and give this one a try! Thanks for sharing your fix.

15. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I am on my 2nd Westell router, 7550 now. I have had no problems with staying connected after I assigned static ip's outside of the router's DHCP range to the receivers, and set the router's DHCP lease time at it's max. which is 99 days on this router.

16. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    I really thought this suggestion had taken care of my problem. But alas, it was not to be. I figured out how to implement sweep49's suggestion yesterday morning. My network/internet connection held good all day until late last night when it dropped. Once again, it held up all day today but just dropped off again. It seems to be more stable than it was before but still, it's dropped off on me a couple of times.

17. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    "Upon further review" I'm going to say that sweep49's suggestion has, in fact, taken care of my problem. On Jun 1, I reported that I still had a couple of disconnects after implementing sweep49's suggestion. After posting that comment, I rebooted everything, re-ensured IP addresses were outside of the router's DHCP range and re-ensured the lease time was maxed out. Everthing has been holding steady now for 3 days. I think I've got it solved!!

Thanks to everyone, especially sweep49, for your responses and suggestions.

18. dondude32

dondude32 Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    I tried this on my westell 7500 and eventually my wired lan connection starts to connect and search constantly. The wireless stays connected. I have to restart PC and it connects on wired lan.. Any suggestions?

19. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What type of receiver do you have? how is connected to the internet?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

20. dondude32

dondude32 Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    4 HD-DVR's hr24-500, hr21-100 hr23-700 hr20-700 Put all on static ip out of DHCP. Changed lease time to 99 days. DECA connected to black wired cck and cat 5 to modem/router. Works hooked up with westell in bridge mode and wrt54g running dhcp. Just wanted to see if I could get westell to work.