1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home Upgrade - SWM16 included?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by 101voodoo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1 of 15
    101voodoo

101voodoo New Member

May 22, 2007
    Hi,

Finally broke down and called to get the WH upgrade.

I've got a Zinwell WB68 feeding two HDVRs on the ground floor, and a SWM8 connected to a sws4 in the comm closet, feeding 3 upstairs HDVRs.

I'm hoping with 10 tuners they'll install a SWM16 so I can eliminate the splitters from the dish, and the multiswitch.

Seem likely?

Thanks, Jim

2. Dec 7, 2011 #2 of 15
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    The SWM16 is the correct "switch" to install in this case, and yes, they should have one...

3. Dec 7, 2011 #3 of 15
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    When I had mine installed (also as part of the MRV), "the system" automatically added it. However it wasn't visible when I looked at the order on-line. But it was on the work order when the installer showed up. And he had one on his truck. But then he counted my total number of receivers (6) and said he didn't need to use it. It took a total of four phone calls to DirecTV and his supervisor before he installed the SWiM16. And another trouble spot if you get an installer like mine that didn't fully understand how it works: Don't let him only put one 8-way splitter off your SWiM 16. The two outputs on the SWiM16 each support 8 tuners. So you'll need two splitters.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #4 of 15
    101voodoo

101voodoo New Member

May 22, 2007
    Thanks for the help.

Jim

5. Dec 8, 2011 #5 of 15
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    If you have all DVR's then you don't need 8 way splitters. Use two 4-ways instead. This ensures that no set of channels is over stacked.

6. Dec 8, 2011 #6 of 15
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That's what I ended up doing later after he installed two 8-ways.

7. Dec 8, 2011 #7 of 15
    DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    Also you should always try to use the smallest splitters possible (ok over simplification) to ensure a strong signal

ie you have 10 tuners (I guess thats 5 HD-DVR's) so a 2way on one side and a 4way the other and terminate the unused port

8. Dec 8, 2011 #8 of 15
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think you may be "over simplifying" this.
    With 10 tuners [or 5 DVRs], the only gain to use 1 4-way and 1 2-way, would be if two coax runs were a good 50' longer than the others.
    If this wasn't the case, splitting the tuner count between the two outputs more evenly, would have each use the lower frequency SWiM channels, thus having less signal loss than the higher channels.

9. Dec 8, 2011 #9 of 15
    101voodoo

101voodoo New Member

May 22, 2007
    In my it case it'll end up being a 2x and a 4x. The ground floor runs are in the crawl space, so a single 2x splitter next to the SWM will work.

Any chance of the installer just leaving me the gear so I can install it myself? What's the best way to broach the subject with the installer?

I tried to get Directv to just send me the parts, but the girl had already comped everything but the $49 install fee so I didn't want to push it.

Jim

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Put yourself in the installer's position and ask yourself whether you would trust a customer to successfully complete your work so that you don't risk getting dinged on the installation.

11. 101voodoo

101voodoo New Member

May 22, 2007
    That's true. I just prefer doing my own work, thought it would save him some time and keep him from crawling under the house as much.

12. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    with it being a swm16 how would the swm1 splits effect the swm2 splits?
    he has 5x HD-DVR's 3 in one genral area and 2 in another
    so on one Leg of the SWM16 he's be using 6 available tuners and on the other 4 available tuners

sure he could put 8 on one leg and 2 on the other but based on phsical location that seems unhelpful
    so with 3DVR's on one leg and 2 on the other (with each leg having its own seperate 8 swm channels) it would be easier to route the cableing and have low loss

now if one were to be crazy far away then I would see the reason for putting 4 on one leg and 1 on the other

so lets see
    1. smaller splitter = less loss (might be unimportant unless long cable runs)
    2. lower swm channels = lower loss than the higher ones, though I bet its very small
    3. more ready to expand later (ie easier time adding another DVR) as it could go on ether leg and would only possibily require a splitter change

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. each output of the SWiM-16 is independent of the other
    2. DVRs aren't always the only receivers connected
    3. each 2-way split has about the same loss as 50' of RG6, so this should be considered as part of the total loss to receivers.
    Use the smallest splitters needed and if some receivers are farther way than other, this may affect your choice of splitters and sizes.
    Lowest verse highest SWiM channels can amount to another 2-way splitter loss or more, "depending on" how long the coax is.

14. 101voodoo

101voodoo New Member

May 22, 2007
    Installers came today and did install a SWM16 - first class job all around.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yep, I read too many posts of installers counting receivers instead of tuners.