1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole home upgrade tomorrow – what to expect?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by RegGeek, May 18, 2010.

1. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I am scheduled for an upgrade tomorrow. Right now I have 3 HR-2x DVRs active, plus an R-15 (currently single tuner mode) and a D-10 standard receiver. I have a side-car dish and WB68.

With a total of 9 tuners to get active what kind of install should I expect? My guess from trying to read up on things here is:
    A non-SWM dish – either 3 or 5 LNB
    A SWM -16? (are these readily available?)
    Swap of R-15 and the D10. (These are owned, will the swaps be a lease?)​

Is that list correct?

From what I gather, the R-15 will be replaced with R-16 or -22 and the D-10 will be replaced with a D-12. Am I correct that the only one that would work for MRV is if I happen to get an R-22? I asked the agent multiple times and each time she assured me that my swapped receivers would work with MRV, but I think she was getting MRV and SWM-capable confused. Am I correct that the R-16 and D-12 are NOT going to be able to do MRV?

Eventually I will be upgrading at least one (possibly both) standard def boxes to HD. I was willing to upgrade the D-10 to an HD receiver now, but the CSR told me not too if I didn’t already have an HD TV because, as she kept insisting, the D-12 would work with MRV. Is there any reason from an install standpoint to go ahead and get the HD receiver now? I can live without it having MRV for the short term.

I'm just trying to get the install right from the beginning and make sure I’m set to replace the SD with HD at the right time and not need an additional installation visit then.

Thanks in advance for helping me get this right.

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Your dish will probably be swapped and with nine total tuners you should be getting a SWM-16. I think (there is the operative word think) but I am not sure 100% that your owned receivers will be swapped and the new ones will be owned as well. Best bet, after the install call the access card team and ask them, they'll know. AS far as the units that will work with MRV, I'm not 100% sure about anything other than the HR2x series as those are the only units I have ever used sorry I can't answer that part.

You're welcome. Come back and let us know how it goes. :)

3. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks. I usually have everything figured out long before I call DirecTV for anything, but I wanted to move on the upgrade while I was able to get a deal and before the beta ended. However with a newborn at home I haven't been able to do as much research on DECA and the rest of it, so I'm was getting a bit nervous about tomorrow.

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    You do need a SWM 16 and they are not readily available. Hope you get lucky, I have my second attempt coming today. When the installer calls to tell me what time he is coming, I'll ask him if he has a SWM 16. If he doesn't I will just tell him to forget the install and I will call Directv to cancel it and get my Visa credited.

6. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    So my installer is here now. Good news - He seems nice and I think I gained a few "cool points" with him when I was walking him through the current set up and was able to tell him which models of HRs I had (i.e. the HR20-700). Bad news - I'm his first whole home install.

Thankfully I prepared myself with an extra dose of patience today.

7. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Oh how quickly it goes downhill. First he says he needs to replace my dish but the system (work order I assume) didn't tell him that. So he needs to get a new dish out here. Then he says that he'll use an SWM Dish and that it will support 8 recievers. I said you mean 8 tuners right? He says no, it's recievers. Uh oh.

I mentioned to him at the beginning the main reason I was doing this was so I could get MRV in my bedroom where there is currently an R-15. I think this requires replacing it with either an HR or an H box but the CSR that set me up and my installer disagree. Both have insited the R-16 will do the trick. Maybe he has an R-22 as a replacement??

Anyway he's on the phone now with his manager, but I have a feeling this is not going in the right direction.

8. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    The R16 is SWM compatible but not MRV compatible. The R22 has been discontinued. If you want MRV you'll have to cut a deal for H21 or up or HR20 or up in that spot.

9. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    We have rescheduled for tomorrow. Here is what they are proposing to do:

1. trying to see if they have an R-22 they can give me for the R-15 (cool!)

2. Want to install a SWM Dish (a single line into the house) and a SWM Expander.

He says this will allow the 4 DVRs and SD receiver to work properly, but the SD box won't do MRV (which I knew/suspected and isn't a big deal for me today). But I don’t think this will work. Can you add a SWM8 to a SWM Dish? I was thinking if you were going to use the SWM8 that you needed it to be fed by a standard dish with 4 wires coming in?

After reading more about a SWM8 I am starting to think just one of those might do the trick for me today, but not necessarily down the road. Am I correct that the SWM8 would support 4 SWM capable DVRs and that I could run the SD box of one of the legacy ports? Why are they not just doing that if it would work? Should I suggest that’s what they do? If I add more HD later DirecTV can just change out my SWM system to SWM16 if necessary then, right?

I’m getting very confused.

10. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    You absolutely will not have more than 8 tuners if they install a SWM LNB dish. If they leave the dish alone and feed an SWM8 then I think they might be able to get away with the SWM8 + legacy ports.

11. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You've got your facts straight. The install does not. You are correct that a SWM-8 is all you need connected to the four lines coming off your LNB (dish) to support four HD DVRs. There is no such thing as a SWM dish. There is a SWM LNB that is a direct swap for the "legacy" (four output) LNB, but that only supports 8 tuners. Expansion beyond 8 tuners would require a SWM-16.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "IF" they come up with the R22, "Then" the ONLY option should be the SWiM-16, since all of the receivers need to be on SWiM & can work with MRV.
    If they go with "just" a SWM8, then the R15 can stay and run off the legacy ports, "but" legacy receivers [and using legacy ports] isn't approved.
    If they change the R15 to an R16 you're still back to a SWiM-16 and the "expander" is a complete waste.

13. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Here's what I think I know - because I have 9 tuners I need a SWM16, period, because the legacy ports aren't supported and therefore the installer shouldn't use them. In that case they could leave my sidecar dish installed (it works fine) and just connect the four dish outputs to the SWM16 inputs.

I think that they don't have and aren't aware of the SWM16. I'll talk to them about that tomorrow and if they aren't willing to try and track one down I'll cancel, and reschedule an appointment with DirecTV for a week? two? and hope the SWM16s are more available then.

Thanks again for the responses.