1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole house dvr and cable modem?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by pivotalrex, May 28, 2011.

1. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

May 25, 2011
    I'm a new Directv customer, just scheduled the install. I've never had satellite before but had a question:

I have a 5 yr old home. I understand the installer will have to determine if the current cable lines can be used for satellite. It has to be RG 6 I believe. I'm having whole house dvr installed in two rooms with a dvr in each room. I'm keeping my broadband internet connection.

Assuming the current cable lines can be used by the installer, my plan is to keep the cable modem and router hooked up in the office and have the dvr's in the master bedroom and the family room.

Is this even possible? or will the installer have to run separate lines b/c of the cable modem?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The coax cannot be shared between the two services. Make sure the installer knows you are keeping cable internet, and that coax run must be left intact (that he cannot re-use it).

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Are you getting the Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit?

4. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

May 25, 2011
    yes, they're including that kit with installation.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here's the deal ..

You'll be getting a SWiM install (Single Wire Multiswitch). This means that the cabling from your central distribution point should be fine. A 4-way (or 2-way) splitter will be added there with the two cable connections for the DVR locations taking two of the outputs. Then for your broadband connection, you will have one of these situations:

• (2-way) a second splitter at one of the two DVR locations that will go to the cinema connection kit and the Ethernet cable plugging into a jack that connects to your router.
    • (4-way) a third output going to another room in the house to connect to the CCK and then fed to an Ethernet port

The two options will look something like this:

2-way
    Power direction indicated by red arrows from Power Inserter (PI)
    2 Green Label 2-way splitters

Code:
               +-- HR24/H24
               |          
               |
    Sat Dish [COLOR="Red"]<-|[/COLOR]
               [COLOR="Red"]|[/COLOR]
               [COLOR="Red"]|[/COLOR]         +-- HR24/H24
               [COLOR="Red"]+-- [/COLOR]Pwr --|
                         +-- CCK -- Power
                              |
                              +-- Ethernet to Router