1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's best to call for install?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by LauderDave, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 7, 2007 #1 of 19
    LauderDave

LauderDave Mentor

Jan 5, 2004
    Should I call Dish Network directly or go to the yellow pages and call one of the local guys? Incidentally, I'm in Davie, (Fort Lauderdale) FL if someone knows of a good local guy if that's the way to go.
    Also, should I go for a situation where I own my equipment, or lease it?
    Thanks!

2. Jun 7, 2007 #2 of 19
    skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    Call someone local. Keep your business where you live..

Lease or own.. That really just comes down to what you think is best.. Leasing means reduced cost and longterm contracts. Buying really only gives you satisfaction of owning it.. Doesn't really give you much else..

3. Jun 7, 2007 #3 of 19
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Agree with Skyview. Buy local and have a local installer do the job.

4. Jun 7, 2007 #4 of 19

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    Theres really no way to know if your installer is good until you meet and talk with the installer. I have seen great jobs by both subs and DNS and also the worst by.........DNS and subs. If your installers are seasoned, they've pretty much seen it all. If they are new, ahem.............cough, sputter..............catch my drift? You are at the mercy of who shows at your door. DNS and subs burn through techs pretty fast, so qualify your installer.

5. Jun 7, 2007 #5 of 19
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Don't just call the local dealer go visit them. If you like his business attitude do business with them if you don't visit another dealer. It is your home you are going to invite him into feel comfortable with them. Hopefully you will establish a relationship with them that you can call with questions and get intelligent answers.

6. Jun 7, 2007 #6 of 19
    flatus

flatus Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    just a thought:
    Nobody is going to care as much as you. If you want a first rate job, do it yourself.

7. Jun 7, 2007 #7 of 19

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    Not true.

8. Jun 7, 2007 #8 of 19
    BaldEagle

BaldEagle Legend

Jun 19, 2006
    Buy local from someone that does their own installs.

9. Jun 7, 2007 #9 of 19

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    You know, having a qualified sat installers is about the same as having a qualified carpenter, or plumber, or electrician. Isn't everybody local, to where they live?

10. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    They may be local but, in the case of the local installer I used for years, they stopped doing the dish free installs because Dish doesn't pay them enough to make it profitable for them. I found this out when I decided to upgrade to a 622 and called to do the deal through them. Luckily, even though I ended up going directly through Dish, the installer sent from Dish was very qualified (and probably local to our area) so even though I was worried about having a different installer, I ended up happy. It's kinda 'luck of the draw' if you're dealing with an installer that you haven't used before - just like using a new carpenter, plumber or electrician. Some are good, some not so much.

11. Horsepower

Horsepower Cool Member

Feb 18, 2005
    When I upgraded to my 622, the "local authorized" installed dispatched by Dish left the clamps loose on the 1000 dish. First wind, no signal. Took 2 weeks to get them back to fix their screwup.

12. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If you were only out in one axis (azimuth) it should have been relatively simple to turn the dish back to where it was and tighten it down.

13. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    There's a local company in Boca that services the area from Vero to the Keys. They consistently have one of the lower 12-day trouble call rates out of all the 15 or so contractors that Dish uses in SoFla. TC-12 rate meaning the %age of customers calling in for some form of service or repair after an installation versus the total # of installations this company does, is very low. PM me and I'll forward you their info. :icon_cool

14. LauderDave

LauderDave Mentor

Jan 5, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I actually called someone today about 10 minutes before your post. They're supposed to come tomorrow. I'll let you know.

15. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't know how a company from Boca can service customers up this way (I'm in Vero) and come out ahead with the drive time. I was a satellite dealer for many years and would do commercial repair (non dbs) jobs all over the southern 2/3 of Florida, but for commercial repairs the pay was quite good. From Vero I was able to cover south to Key West (never did get sent to Havanna). and north to Ocala (and sometimes beyond) and come out ahead. I drove to Key West one time only to find that some high tree limbs had grown in the way of the dish. I was there for five minutes, told them to have their landscape person trim some limbs (specific limbs) and went off to the hotel room that the customer supplied for me. I arrived in Key West at about 12:30 in the AM and wasn't about to drive back. :rolleyes: I trimmed my share of bushes on some trips also.

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    We just call 1-800-DISH and someone shows up from the Hayward yard, which serves the SF Bay Area.

17. Cage

Cage Banned User

May 21, 2007
    I can help you out with that- .-Derek.

18. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Um.... Cage.... he's in Florida. Unless you're on a vacation nearby that's a long commute from Austin, Tx. :D

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.