1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's "the pig"?!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by CrankyYankee, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrankyYankee

CrankyYankee Mentor

Feb 19, 2003
    There was in interesting letter to the editor of "Multichannel News", which is a trade publication for the cable and satellite industry.
    The letter, from Don Campbell, of Idaho City Cable TV, Idaho City, Idaho,
    went like this...

"I recently saw Dish Network's new "Stop feeding the cable pig" advertising campaign.
    I don't get it.
    The ad says cable raised their rates last year by 8%, or five times the rate of inflation.
    Last year, Dish Network raised the rate for their basic service(America's Top 50) by 9%.
    That's six times the rate of inflation.
    Who's the pig?
    Cable includes local channels in our basic service at no additional charge.
    Last year, Dish Network added local channels here in Idaho and added $5.99 per month to their rate.
    That's a rate increase of 24%, or 16 times the rate of inflation.
    Who's the pig?
    Here in Idaho, cable hooks up additional TVs at no additional monthly charge.
    Dish Network charges $4.99 a month for each additional TV.
    Who's the pig?
    It's interesting to note that Charlie Ergen, in a letter to Dish Network customers last year, blamed his 9% rate increase on an increase in programming-channel costs.
    If there is a pig out there that we really need to stop feeding, it's the people that supply us programming.
    One final thought.
    Where was Sen. John McCain last year when both Dish Network and DirecTV
    raised their rates by six times the rate of inflation?"

Don Campbell.
    Idaho City Cable TV, Idaho City, Idaho
    ========================================================

2. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Cable's extended basic package blows away Dish if you have a lot of TVs and want nothing more than the basic channels. But most DBS subs aren't basic subscribers who want only the "basic" package plus locals. PVR and having the option to get many channels that cable doesn't offer is a big reason we go to DBS and another big reason is sports that my cable company couldn't think of even competing against. So this guy is right when he’s only talking about the basic channels plus locals when you have or want a number of different outlets.

But this ignoranus isn’t honestly comparing apples to apples is he? Cable can’t touch DTV’s Total Choice Plus with Locals for $39.99. And neither can Dish. You can’t get History International and Boomerang along with locals for under $40 with cable nor Dish.

3. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003
    Cable in the Johnstown/Altoona PA area is $53.00 for about 65 channels. I get the AT150 for $42.99. When the locals are available I will be paying about the same, but I get double the channels, plus all the music/movie channels with no commercials.

More bad news for charter. Two friends at work are switching to dish next month. My installer has a list of people waiting for the locals so they can switch.

4. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    "Cable in the Johnstown/Altoona PA area is $53.00 for about 65 channels."

Please break it down. $53.00 really sounds high to me for the basic or expanded (analog) package.

5. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Jarrett76:

Any news on when your DMA will go on DTV?

6. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003

Basic Service- $14.95
    Expanded Service- $34.14
    $49.09 without taxes.

Digital cable has all the channels the AT150 has, but you pay $12.00 more a month, plus a $3.95 monthly charge for the 1st digital receiver, $5.00 for each additional receiver.

7. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003

It has been rumored that DTV was talking to the stations. I talked to a manager at circuit city, and he told me the first thing people ask is about the locals. DTV may lose some customers to Dish when the locals are turned on.

8. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Also, in a passive aggressive way of getting back at Pegasus, D* has been avoiding adding channels local channels in their areas, effectively ceding these areas to E*. We'll see if Rupert reverses this trend.

I'm amazed Pegasus's stock shot up when Rupe's takeover was approved. I would think that they will be left out in the cold when their deal expires in a few years.

9. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002

Not so fast... are you sure you're supposed to add Basic + Expanded Basic together? I believe the Expanded Service is $34.14 which includes the Basic Service in the package as well since they're two different packages. I'm pretty sure that the $34.14 is the price of the above not $49.09.
    If fact, I’d bet a buck this is the case.

So DTV is no where near offering your locals which is a good thing if you can get distants since this DMA sucks!

10. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003

Yes the basic is added to the expanded. You can purchase the basic alone, but if you want the expanded you need to purchase the basics as well. My bill before the hike was around $50.00

The DMA isnt the best. I HOPE they put on WNPA as rumored. We have no WB either!

11. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    WOW! Are you sure? Ouch! It doesn't suck that much around here.

12. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003
    Yeah its real bad here. Once the locals come on the cable company is in trouble. I know of at least 15 who are switching. You should have read the letters to the editor people wrote in the paper when they raised the cable a few weeks ago!

13. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    "You should have read the letters to the editor people wrote in the paper when they raised the cable a few weeks ago!"

I think I did? The Mirror?

14. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Fortunatelly where I live I really don't have an option (no cable in my area), but I was at my parents over x-mas and I couldnt believe what they pay for the crap they get. So I decided to do a comparison between Time Warner (Minneapolis suburb) and Dish

AT150, locals, 3 boxes total, HD package

Time Warner Cable
    Their "Digipack 1000" (basic, standard, digital cable) 46.95
    HD Coverter box 7.65
    Converter for Digital 7.65
    Converter 7.65
    HD pack (INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD) 6.95
    Movie Pack (Encore) 3.95
    Remote (yes they bill separatelly) .90 (3 x .30)
    total before taxes 81.70

Dish
    AT150 42.99
    Locals 5.99
    HD pack 9.95
    Extra rec 4.99
    Extra rec 4.99

Total before 68.91

hmmmm. I think I would take option B..yeah, cable outlets are free, but as soon as you want the digital package on other TV's, they sock you 7.95...and who the hell bills for a remote????? Their regular cable is up to 40.50 before taxes.
    un-freakin-real

15. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003

Yes, the altoona mirror. Here is charters line up I was paying $50.00 a month for. Channel 99 is the last before digital. Channels 2, 4, 16 were blacked out most of the time.

http://www.charter.com/service/channel/channel.asp?ID=598&LID=83

16. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003

Wow $.90 for a remote? Charter charges $.15 cents

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In my area - Comcast Cable:
    Local Channels $13.00 - 7 broadcast locals including 2 low powered plus the UPN feed only broadcast on OTA DT. (E* will have the five full powered, eventually.) 9 other channels - two local origination, two shopping, TBS & WGN Superstations, FNC, Discovery, and CSpan.
    Technically speaking, one can order Locals Only from E* for 10.99 (the locals fee plus the $5 base fee for not having AT50) ... a few PI and shopping channels are free with that as well. For $13.99 one can have the superstations package too.
    The next step up: $41.99
    Cleverly (read: deceptively) marketed as "Expanded Basic for $28.99" they REQUIRE you also subscribe to the Basic $13.00 package as well. That adds 42 cable channels (Eastern feeds only of course).
    That's 59 channels, with the forced purchase of locals, for $41.99 - and they complain that E* charges $29.95 for AT50+Locals? OINK OINK! All that in glorious analog of course, which means you can have multiple sets without an additional charge -- but to raise E*'s price past Comcast's level one would have to have four boxes.

But OF COURSE Comcast offers digital channels ... they like other cable hogs like saying that to counter the "all digital" description of DBS. And if you want Comcast in digital you can pay $14.99 more plus $5 per tuner box. That's $ 56.98 for those not keeping track. And guess what? The analog channels are still not digital. :)

BTW: To order PPV one must subscribe to Comcast's $ 56.98 monthly package.
    To order PPV on E*, one must pay a $5 monthly card fee *or* subscribe to AT50.

Sure for subscribing to Cable I could have had $14 off of my Comcast Broadband bill, but really - Comcast Broadband for $60 per month ($46 with cable) is more expensive than DSL. And 1.5meg DSL is fast enough. WHY should I be forced to pay for 2meg (with puny upload) when I don't need it?

That's my biggest problem with cable rates. They force you to buy what you don't want. And the kicker: If you subscribe to Comcast HSI Only they charge you MORE than if you subscribe to Comcast HSI plus $13 cable. So you pay $1 more for not viewing cable? Sounds like a fine to me!

Who's the pig? Comcast is one of them.

JL

18. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Your channel selection is better than many but still not worth $50 IMO.
    Is the $50 before or after the increase?
    I remember the stories and the editorial letters although you and that paper are distant to me.

This gave me my brilliant idea of a cableless town after reading that stuff. If I lived in your area I would have contacted Dish and had them put up your DMA yesterday and offered everybody in the city a Dish system and thus try to be the first cableless city in America. If I only lived there and/or Dish employed brilliant people like me I would have turned the city upside down and created something very big on the scale of Dave’s Bake Sale. I remember reading it all and wished I lived there to stir up a bunch of stuff.

I would have been a good promoter for the first cableless city in America.

19. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    With the new 322s and 522s, E* is addressing some of the cost concerns by giving you two fully serviceable TVs for the cost of one receiver.

20. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Comcast Chattanooga has been charging $40.99/mo for Preferred Basic which includes 3 basic packages (Limeted Basic $8.xx/mo, Value Pak $7.xx/mo, Expanded Basic $26.xx/mo) for a total of 65 channels. Digital plus adds about 40 digital tv channels and 53 audio channels for an additional $14.95/mo for a total of $56.94/mo, HD digital box is additional $5/mo, additional SD digital box's add $6.50/mo for each additional box. These are current prices, Comcast Chattanooga just officially announce channel changes and a price increase but I have not been able to find out details yet.

With E* AT50 with locals here you will end up paying $29.99/mo for about 66 channels and at $4.99 for each additional box, one can add 2 additional receivers at $4.99/mo each for independent viewing on 3 TV's and still pay less then Comcast's current price. AT150 with locals at $48.98/mo will have approximately 120 channels for about $8/mo less then Comcast Preferred Digital Plus at the old $56.94/mo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.