1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why am I getting more HDMI handshake issues with HR20 now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by newsposter, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    I have a sima hdmi switcher (which I assumed was a good choice http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4102161) and have been using it for a while with my two HDtivos and sony dvd changer. When I got the HR20 installed, i put it in place of the sony changer. Then when I switched back to my tivos, (this was right after the installer left) I got a goofy screen that flashed purple and weird stuff but the pic itself was 'ok.' Someone on the forum told me to unplug my tv, wait, then plug it in. It worked and all was well.

Now it doesn't happen every time, but when i go to switch 3 (hr20) then back to hdtivo, I am still getting this purple screen occasionally.

Is it possible the hr20 is somehow causing this to mess up or is it a total coincidence that this started happening immediately after i got the hr20? I did reseat all connections.

Yes I know component is an option (and put the sony back on the switcher) but i only have one open on the tv and it is being used by a 2nd dvd burner. Also it's much easier to use the switcher :)

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The only question I have is your use of the phrase "a while". How long have you had the SIMA switcher? Their literature does not say which version of HDMI it has. The latest is HDMI 1.3a which should be pretty immune to handshake issues. If you switcher supports HDMI 1.2a you should be OK, too. Anything less than that could be troublesome. Why it would be intermittant I have no idea although you might want to make sure your cables are well seated into the switcher.

A phone call to SIMA might be in order.

I'd hate for you to have to replace your switcher already but here is one that is HDMI 1.3a compliant:

Oppo HM-31

3. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    got the switcher last Christmas. No issues ever with HDtivos. I dont use the sony changer enough but it's always been plugged in.

the online literature says

Supports all current HD Standards. Would that mean 1.3?

4. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    any idea if every time i come out of signal test i get blank screen has anything to do with this?

5. kiddk1

kiddk1 AllStar

Oct 17, 2003
    I get the purple/pink squigly line each time I switch using my hdmi switcher but it immediately goes to the picture.

6. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    tonight i tested signal around 545..had to leave so pressed exit...came back 2 hours later...nothing on the tv..had to reboot because something was gonna record at 8pm.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that HDMI switching is still rather a young technology, as all of HDMI is, and there are probably some new handshaking issues in this release.

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Stuart is right. It is an emerging technology. Considering I was dealing with equipment that was HDMI 1.1a compliant last fall and that I didn't see any 1.3 compliant equipment on the market until a few months ago, I would really doubt that your switcher is even 1.2a compliant.

"Supports all current HDMI standards" as of when? This is why you should call SIMA. For what it's worth, I down loaded the owner's manual for your switcher and it doesn't say anything more and isn't even dated.

My guess it is 1.1a compliant. We gave up trying to use cable boxes and satellite tuners with HDMI 1.1 receivers. Their switching never worked.

9. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    is hr20 hdmi 1.3?

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    No, the HR20 is HDMI 1.1 but that's OK. The switches have to be backwards compatible. That's not the problem.

11. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i'm lost..what's the issue then if this only started happening once my hr20 got hooked up to the same switch as the hdtivos

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    And I'm going to be no help.

I'm sure it has something to do with HDCP copy protection but what's happening, I don't know. I do know that switching to a later generation HDMI switcher will solve the problem but I can't tell you why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.