1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why am I getting the Rays game on MLB Network?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by FLWingNut, Sep 14, 2013.

1. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    MLB Network drives me nuts! I'm in the Rays territory so I assumed I'd be blacked out of their game on MLB Network, and would get the Tigers game that I wanted. So I set the recording, wanting to start watching it about an hour in do I could zip thru the commercials. Imagine my surprise when I got a blank screen and the blackout message. I'm getting the Rays, using the Twins feed, no less. So I missed the first hour before I grabbed my iPad to watch it thru At Bat. Someone please explain why I'm getting the Twins feed of the Rays game.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

2. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Sure, it's not being televised by Sun Sports that's why you are getting it. And they use the Home Team. All makes sense.

3. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    I thought the blackout rule was that if your team isnt televising then you're out of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

4. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Looks like this rule does not apply to the MLB network. I am in the KC Royals area and the game was not telecast locally but I got the Tiger feed on MLB network.

5. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    I'm in Reds territory, and there have been many times when the blackout has been lifted on MLB Network for the several games that the Reds don't air on FSN Ohio.

It's the right thing to do.

6. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    MLBN gets a pass just like ESPN when it comes to locally broadcast games, or am I wrong?

7. Rob37

Rob37 New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Maybe DirecTv is getting a jump start on next year. Most Blackouts are going away starting next year with the new baseball contract. ESPN broadcasts and I think MLB Network Broadcasts will be able to be seen even in home markets.

8. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    About time. Atlanta and Tampa have nothing to do with Jacksonville.

9. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    No. As I said, MLB Network simply doesn't black out games in home markets if those games aren't otherwise aired in those markets.
    That's the way it's been for several years now.

I know that most of you don't have to worry about that, as you live in markets where all 162 games are aired in one way or another. But I am very familiar with this situation, as FSN Ohio airs only 145 Reds games a year. So I have a lot of experience with t his.

10. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Here's an example:

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/August_Games.jsp

Look at the several underlined teams throughout that schedule (which indicates lifted blacouts). Then cross-reference those games with the broadcast schedule of games for those teams on RSNs or other local channels.

You'll see that MLB Network clearly and intentionally lifts the blackouts in those markets for those otherwise unaired games.