1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why am I getting WGN? (started a few days ago)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tenwinecans, Oct 15, 2013.

1. tenwinecans

tenwinecans Cool Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Why am I getting WGN? (started a few days ago)

It appears to be a Chicago TV station. As I'm almost 1100 miles away from Chicago, I'm not sure why I'm getting this channel...

Thanks!

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'll check my Dish box

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Weird.

I have all WWOR, WGN, KTLA etc. package, but not WGN.

Have you been online to look at your programming package ?

4. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    what channel is it on, if it's 239, then you are getting WGN America, if it's in the range of the Chicago local channels, then i don't know why you are getting the local Chicago version of WGN if you are not in the Chicago local market area.

edit: i just looked in the uplink thread and saw this, so i will quote it from the uplink thread

maybe this will explain it.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    WGN America is on in the local channel range (2-69) in some markets as compensation for missing local TV stations.

This is DISH's way of giving something to people who are missing a local during a programming dispute.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    And that appears to be the markets that have at least 1 Media General Station

7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    The Uplink report says it is WGN Chicago and not WGN America.

8. tenwinecans

tenwinecans Cool Member

Aug 20, 2012
    yes... apparently that is the case. A Dish rep told me that the WGN channel
    is to make up for the lost of the two Media General local channels that I've
    lost since October 1. (CW and ABC)

Wow.... I'm so happy. Now I get to watch crappy Chicago news which is
    of zero interest to me.... as well as old crappy sitcom shows on WGN! :D
    (no offense to people of Chicago)

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep ... I had "WGN Chicago" as the channel name on channel 239 as well (as opposed to "WGN9 CHICAGO, IL (CW)" - which is the label on the local channel). I suppose I should have changed the channel name in my listings years ago. It is WGN out of Chicago ... just not the channel 9 feed.

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    They do have sports and in Canada they get Chicago feed that has more sports then WGN America.

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Isn't WGN America in the lowest AT pack? Even WGN America has Chicago news. IIRC that was subbed here in Cleveland during the Raycom dispute, however I never bothered to watch on 19 as I though it ws the same as 239. I thought that it was a dumb substitution since nearly everyone gets it (unless all you sub to are your locals).

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    WGN America is in AT200 ... so yes, most subscribers already get the channel.

13. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Sounds like a trick.
    Change the channel number to something under 100 and people might think it is an added bonus?

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Instead of giving viewers a blank channel to remind them of the dispute, they drop a Chicago independent into the slot - beats a poke in the eye with a stick!

15. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    When April rolls around, you'll get to watch crappy baseball. The Cubs and White Sox combined lost almost 200 games.

16. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Where I am, that means they had a good season :nono2:

17. fpembleton

fpembleton New Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Dish did same a few months ago when we lost our local NBC affiliate as a result of a retrains.dispute. As previously mentioned, my opinion is the same that better to have a station like WGN rather than a billboard with elevator music playing 24/7 until the matter was resolved. Always liked WGN programming even though I had AT200 at that time and WGN was included.

18. lbeck

lbeck AllStar

Jun 27, 2006
    I got Tired of waiting for Dish to bring NBC back so I bought an antenna and now pick up local NBC. But the programming continues to show the "Important message....." propaganda from Dish.

Where can I get a good simple NBC channel lineup other than a local newspaper?

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    NBC's Web site? That's where I looked.

You could also look at your local channel's Web site for non-prime-time scheduling.