1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are old MLB broadcasts blacked out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by schlar01, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Old Twins games are blacked out on FSN for me since I don't live in MN. This seems downright stupid. Does anyone know why this is?

2. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    because They want to be stupid. Instead of promoting their product, they are limiting it, just like Nascar and the INDY 500 did. So instead of showing you reasons why you want to pay to see them in person, They give you reason not to come.

its a bunch of crap. But don't worry someone will be here soon to defend this action. Why because they have nothing better to do with their time.

Just watch. and I can almost tell you exactly who it will be.

3. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    I'm sort of curious about this one as well. It would seem to me that if they are blacked out it would have to be because of a league rule, but some RSN's (like YES) 'classic games' are not. Don't get it.

4. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Rights issues I believe. The Yankees and O's purchased the rights to their "classic" games. As far as the Twins and others, MLB owns the rights and won't permit OOM coverage for those type games.

5. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    It is an MLB and RSN thing -- the RSN's do not have the national rights for the old games -- MLB holds them.

As noted, though, this is not always applied consistently.

I hate it. A lot.

6. Billsfan69

Billsfan69 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    The nationals do this also. I have watched games that played earlier the previous day after midnight.

7. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    Great...I can see it coming...MLB EI 'Classic' only 99.99 :lol:

8. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Wasn't aware MLB was allowing them to do that. Thanks for the info -- we will have to hammer NESN to do the same. :)

9. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    This adds some color to the classic game blackout issue, thanks. I have wondered about this for a while, but if the RSN doesnt own nationally, then I understand. Don't like it either, but understand.

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Hold the phone that was just an assumption on my part you might be correct on what you posted above.

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Nationals and O's have their classic games in the clear as well.

12. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    That's what the folks at NESN told me when they started blacking out their classic games and other non-game Sox programming -- that MLB had given them grief about it and told them to enforce (via DirecTV) the restrictions on showing the material nationally. They didn't mention the possibility of national rights purchase, and said that other RSNs that did show the material were doing so in violation.

This will likely become a bigger issue when the Baseball Channel starts up -- which I presume will use a lot of this archival material. Of course, the NHL and NBA have their own channels and don't seem to have issues with RSN's showing old footage nationally. MLB simply continues to be the most fan-unfriendly of the major sports when it comes to TV -- though my opinion of them would improve greatly if they decide to approve DirecTV's request to show dual feeds in Extra Innings this year.

13. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    And MLB wonders why the NFL is trouncing them.

America's pastime has become a parody of itself. MLN has indeed jumped the shark.

14. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    The blackouts have started in earnest. I tried to watch the Cardinals Spring Training report on FSN MIDWEST ch 647 tonight. I have the FSN Sportspak and MLB EI . I was blacked out of the Spring Training report, it's not even a game.

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    This is the big issue right here. MLB owners still don't get it and want to penalize their fans.

And yes, DirecTV has requested dual feeds for EI but so far MLB has told them to go pound sand. So if you want dual feeds you better start hammering the MLB offices about it.

16. scott72

scott72 Icon

Feb 17, 2008
    I thought if you were in their local market then games wouldn't be blacked out. I live in NE Iowa and am getting D* this week. I am going to have the sports pak and need my Brewers on FSN Wisconsin. If they're blacked out it's going to be a big problem.

17. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    You should be fine in the local market. We're talking out-of-market via the sportspack.

18. scott72

scott72 Icon

Feb 17, 2008
    Yes but the OP lives in LaCrosse which is clearly in the local market for Twins material which is why I got concerned.

19. Leinie Lodge

Leinie Lodge New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    No clear rhyme or reason to pre-season Sports Pack OOM blackouts? Some YES Classic Yankees games are shown and others denied,
    NESN-HD Red Sox Spring Training report comes in nicely.

Go Brew Crew!

20. Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    FSN Arizona replayed two games from last season on Friday (Highlighting Brandon Webb's scoreless innings streak). I was NOT blacked out of these games. Maybe it has to do with FSN Arizona recently acquiring exclusive broadcast rights to the team's games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.