1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are the D* and E* acronyms used?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by camo, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Why are the D* and E* acronyms used? Seems easier to type direct and dish. Hate hitting the shift key.

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    History. Tradition.

It dates back to the early days of satellite television when there were Primestar and Echostar. It was P*, E* and D*. This is also why Dish Network is E*.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I actually saw a primestar dish the other day. It's over by my drive up ATM. Maybe I will snap a pic next time.

5. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    because its easier to type 1 letter then a word

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Just to be anally retentive this afternoon...

D* and E* are not acronyms... they are abbreviations :)

And aside from that sentence above, I prefer to type out Dish and DirecTV. That way no confusion results.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just be glad we're not calling them Dave and Charlie. :D

I still get to press the shift key as I spell them DirecTV and DISH. The D* and E* shortcuts are becoming less popular. Too many people thinking D* is DISH. To alleviate confusion most spell out the names now. Besides, we have the bandwidth.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    And in fact, the marketing department of my satellite provider told me that the proper usage is DIRECTV, not DirecTV. The ™ is not required when used in blog posts but may be typed as DIRECTV(TM) for those not comfortable with using the ™ character. Or, as I said, it may be omitted in blog posts regarding the company but they have language they use for the bottom of press releases and other media.

(How's that for retentive, Mr. Vernon?)

9. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I was thinking D* is DISH for sometime. Have it down now but was curious about the history and why it was being used.

10. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I'll see your marketing department and raise you a newspaper style guide.

When third parties (such as us) write about trademarked items, the typical way to handle it is to capitalize the word. It's wrong to say you blew your nose on a kleenex, but it's okay to say that you had a Coke with your Big Mac.

Newspapers hate words of all caps because they're hard to read. Unless it's a true acronym, they'll usually find a cleaner way to write it, as you did with DirecTV.

OTOH, if you are the trademark owner, then you really need to add the TM or R after your trademarked term whenever you use it in print. If it's your trademark, it's your job to protect it, but it isn't a blogger's job to do it for you.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Michael, you're spot on. 100%.

What a shame that so few people follow any manual of style these days, even big companies. At least DIRECTV has a corporate standard, even if it does not hew to any other standard for style.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    When I was working for a living and writing (technical writing) I was much more retentive about trademarks and proper capitalization of company/product names.

Where I worked, we also had agreements in place where some terms we gave trademark attribution and others we did not.

Some documents you will see every trademark, marked... and others (like where I worked) we only marked the first appearance (non-cover appearance) in the document and thereafter just used the proper term without (tm) or (r) markings.

We even had some terms that had characters for which there were no acceptable fonts... So the rule was, whenever we could use the proper graphic, we had to do so... but in straight-text situations (like a .txt file) we could use alternate spelling/capitalization for trademarked terms.

And as noted... it most behooves the company with the trademark to trademark their terms... because they are the ones protecting it.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

The "E*" for "Dish" is even more out-of-date now that Echostar has split from Dish... so technically speaking, the "E*" should be only used for Echostar, while we'd need a new "*" moniker for "Dish".

But I still prefer typing out short names so there is no confusion.

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    To make matters worse, you have many entities today, from at&t to dish network, that prefer to use all lower case letters in their identities. I don't know if there is a newspaper style that deals specifically with that.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "DISH" is the stock symbol, as well as being the beginning of "DISH Network" (the way DISH types their name in press releases, etc.).

Of course Wikipedia doesn't allow an all caps name ... but when Wikipedia becomes the style guide all hope is lost for the world. (They do allow DirecTV - must be a different set of unwashed masses fighting for that spelling. One really has to fight on Wikipedia to get them to accept anything other than first character capitals.)

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Gee, that's my preference. I'm constantly being overruled.:sure:

16. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    LMAO!! :D

17. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    My vote for toughest example: http://www.thistv.com/ Although the title tag for that web page capitalizes it, and the FAQ page uses all caps.
    Ditto: http://www.iontelevision.com/ The display font is all lower-case, but when the site uses it in text, it's all caps.

18. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeah, that's some sort of retentiveness... :D

I could have sworn that DIRECTV was using DirecTV, but alas all over their website it's DIRECTV. Either the forums have warped my understanding of them, or they switched some number of days, weeks, months, years or decades ago and me in my ADD / over-saturated / too much info / too many channels world just never noticed... :eek2:

19. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    But there are still those who use the Digital TV abbreviation DTV, for DirecTV. Now that does cause confusion.

20. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That probably flew right over the heads of many. :lol:

Definitely old school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.