1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are the games on Fox Sports channels blacked out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RVD26, Nov 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I just subscribed to the Sports Package today hoping to catch the Carolina basketball game.
    I go to the channel and it is blacked out. :mad:
    I check a few other channels in the Sports Package and notice the same thing.
    Games are blacked out for no apparent reason.
    Anyone know why?

2. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    You need the comparable sports package to view games (EI for MLB, LP for NBA, FC for NCAA basketball, CI for NHL, ex). If you can watch games simply by subscribing to the sports pack, then why would anyone pay 2 to 3 times as much for the comparable package?

3. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I've subscribed with the Sports Package for the past 3 years to catch Carolina basketball games and I can recall maybe one other time that a game was blacked out.
    I wouldn't waste my money to order Full Court and watch a bunch of other games I could care less about in SD.

4. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm getting every college b'ball game at the moment in sports pack, but I have no idea what the college blackout rules are. I'm getting Robert Morris @ Pitt, Florida Atl. @ Florida, and SHS @ Texas, on RSNs and all those games are in Full Court.

I don't see why they'd black out UNC as that game isn't even in Full Court.

5. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Are you getting the UNC game right now?

6. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes. Channel 645-1 (FS Carolinas) and channel 646 (FS South).

7. mstanka

mstanka Legend

Jan 25, 2003
    Generally in most case if you want an out of market game, you will need to subscribe to the package (in your case the ESPN Game Plan, that I think is the College one).

I do the same for Hockey as I like alot of the out of market games.

Michael.

8. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Makes no sense to me at all.
    I see you're in TN. Are you in the eastern part of TN?
    Maybe because UNC-Asheville is close to TN??? :confused:

9. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I've never had to do that before.
    Sports Package has always gotten me all the out of market games I need.

10. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Nope, southwest just outside of Memphis. Are you blacked out of any other games? I just wonder if this is an error, and not a rule change or change of enforcement of blackouts.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Is the game OTA near you? Often when games are on OTA then RSNs are blacked out.

12. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I was blacked out of at least one other game (can't remember the game).

No, this game is not OTA.
    I'm in the Houston area.
    This game was played in North Carolina.

13. BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to what games are blacked out and which ones aren't. I watch a lot (35-40) of college basketball games each week. I have the Sports Pack, and in most cases, any game that is listed is available. There will be an occasional game that is blacked out, but there is little consistency as to what games are blacked out. IIRC, games from the southwest or rocky mountain region seem to have had a greater chance of being blacked out for me than others, but even these are on more often than not. I have also seen a game on one of the RSN's from the northeast I live in Charlotte. My RSN's that I would get without Sports Pack are Fox SportsSouth (and sub-channels), SportSouth, MASN, and Fox Sports Ohio.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    A college game is often blacked out on an RSN if it's featured on ESPN Gameplan or actually broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2 somewhere. Just because you haven't been blacked out in the past means nothing, it's all about what is happening now and what the NCAA and ESPN have told the various providers like DirecTV to do with the game. Certainly there could have been a mistake, but these blackouts...even of college games happens all the time. That's why ESPN sells the Gameplan.

FYI that you can catch most of these college games for free on ESPN3.com and the quality is quite good.

15. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    The specific game he mentioned was a Fox Sports broadcast that was not available on Full Court or ESPN3.com

16. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    I had this very issue last year when I had the sportspack and living in Texas I was livid that a basketball game between Pacific and UC Davis was blacked out.

Turns out certain conferences black out games out of market on sports pack, regardless of whether they are on ESPN FullCourt or not. If a game is blacked out, it is probably for this reason.

In my case it turns out the Big West enforces a blackout out of market on its games. They want you to sub to their horrible internet TV package to watch those games. Ugh.

I bet the ACC (UNC) has similar rules, but who knows for what reason.

17. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    From my thread last season:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=172554&highlight=pacific+uc+davis

That last link explains it perfectly:
    That's why the OP couldn't see the UNC game on FSN South via Sports Pack while living in Katy, TX. HGuardian can probably see it because he lives in TN and probably falls into an ACC tv market.