1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why are these NFL games on ch94 in SD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by rcoleman111, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

I know the Patriots game is being broadcast in HD, because the announcers made that point at the beginning of the broadcast. What's the point of simulcasting the NFL Network HD games on ch94 in SD?

2. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Never mind, I see the Rams-Vikings game went to HD after the first few minutes.

3. ldogg29

ldogg29 Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    GO RAMS !!:)

4. 86n96

86n96 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    the bears game didn't. hopefully, the replay of my steelers tonight will be in HD.

5. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Yes, I noticed the Bears game was in SD on 94 last night. Hard to watch after all those HD games earlier in the day. The Patriots game started in SD but went to HD after about 15 minutes. Looks like most of the games on 94 are HD, which is great. The most important thing, of course, was that the Rams game was HD.

Does anyone have any idea why some of the telecasts start in SD and then switch to HD after a short time?

6. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Thanks, I'm looking forward to another season of Rams games on ST.

7. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    hockey was good HD, these football games not sure if HD there blured

8. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    All of the games on 94 should be in HD.
    Someone is asleep at the switch.

9. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    No i think its cause they put the channel on automatic NFLN thus if the game isnt HD it broadcast in SD. I noticed the other night because after one of the games they had regular NFLN programing.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Today's Packers/Steelers game was the pillared SD version.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    those replays today on 94 werent that good. I made that comment about the HOF game a few nights ago. I usually back up Direct HD quality, and still do on everything else, but the football games coming off of NFL net dont look very good at all.

12. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Cardinals game was in SD as well

13. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    A bit off topic, but did you notice that they missed the entire second series of the Steelers' offense (admittedly it appears to have been a 3 and out). They showed the Packers' punt, some commercials, and then came back to show the Steelers' punt. Geez NFLNetwork!

14. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Some of the coverage is kind of amateurish, but it's because these are the telecasts from the local stations, which only get to cover the preseason on TV. I watched the Browns-Chiefs game and they missed an 11-yard pass play near the end while they were showing a replay of the "play of the game". Bernie Kozar's commentary on the game was pathetic - he sounded like he was whining most of the time.

15. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    I think the "missing plays" also has to do with the fact that they have to shorten the games a bit to fit into the 3 hours they have allotted to each game.

16. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    You bet I did notice. I was not terribly thrilled at all. And I have to believe there was still time as less than 4 minutes went off the clock and the game still ended 5-8 minutes before the 3 hour window was up, IIRC. Yeah, they might have had to shave a few seconds off a few "between the plays" time to fit 4 minutes of clock time into 5-8 minutes, but it could have been done without missing a whole series.

Sigh.

But the good news is the Packers won! :) Tho I wasn't very happy with the first 7 series...

Cheers,
    Tom

17. jhstn58

jhstn58 Cool Member

May 28, 2007
    So then why broadcast the Steelers-Packers game in SD? I know KDKA broadcast in HD. Was Green Bay's local broadcast also HD?

18. mnbulldog

mnbulldog Legend

Aug 25, 2006
    They don't edit these games for time contraints other than deleting the halftime (referring to the replays not Live NFL Network games).

The feeds are from local stations so missing content, poor coverage, etc has NOTHING to do with NFL Network.

I agree several were a little blurry but way better than SD either way and the low quality HD might be due to the low qualily local network equipment??? That is just a guess.

If you watch the games in SD on 212 - the first half is home broadcaster and second half is visitor broadcaster (if both exist). However, in HD it appears you get just the one feed so far.

19. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Well, if they showed that annoying Baconator commercial only 10 times compared to the 20 that it seemed to run during any game, we could get the missing plays.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

20. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

You are right about it not being NFL Network's fault. They are just replaying the telecasts from the local station. That's why you see amateur announcers and camera work and picture quality do not match what the networks have. It sure beats watching the games in SD, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.