1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why can't the McLaughlin Group get its formatting together?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Marcus Welby, May 15, 2013.

1. Marcus Welby

Marcus Welby Cool Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know if it's the local PBS station (WTTW Chicago) that's having all the problems or if it's the feed that they get it from, but why oh why can't I view the McLaughlin Group in a proper format? That show seems to be the single holdout when it comes to converting to the 21st century. One week, it's letterboxed AND pillarboxed (stamp-o-vision). The next week it's full 16:9 but stretched. Two weeks ago it was 16:9 but cropped top and bottom. This past week it was letterboxed but stretched to the sides. I mean it's literally different every week! All I want is a standard 4:3 picture with pillarboxes. Is that so hard? It's like that fiasco that the History Channel had a couple of years ago with all the formatting problems. Who's to blame for this?

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    A subsidiary gripe:

if a show has black bars on all four sides, and is actually 16:9, just smaller, there should be a setting on my TV that will blow it up perfectly to fit the screen.

(yeah, I've got a plasma)

:righton:

3. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Crop setting on the Genie is what I use when watching "stamp-o-vision" on EWTN.

4. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    The "zoom" setting on the Dish receiver seems to do the trick for that.