1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't it wait even though I asked it too?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Dmtalon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    So, I turn on my TV, start watching. Shortly after a message popped up saying it wanted to download something, and to select ok or postpone.

Since prime time TV was coming up shortly I selected postpone, and then walked away. Took a shower and heated up some left overs.

walk back out and it's downloading the software anyway. So at 7:45 it was updating even though i asked it to postpone. (I guess it only waited 15min or so).

Now, since I am lucky enough have a media center PC I switched over to it and watched something else letting it finish.

Lucky me, I returned to the DVR to find out that the upgraded had caused NCIS and HOUSE to not record

1) WHY THE HELL would it want to download a software update an hour before prime time instead of say 3-4am?

2) WHY IN THE HELL would it only postpone 15-30 minutes instead of say a couple hours or more? I guess you have to sit in front of your DVR 24/7 to make sure it's not going to try to upgrade the software at a bad time?

I'd say at least once a week I miss my Tivo. Can't wait for the new ones to come to market. Until then, I'm glad I both have a media center PC and know how to get HD content via the net (to take up the slack of the DVR)

<sigh>

2. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    this should be the national release for new software on your hr2x receiver. you will like the changes and improvements. unfortunalty, this is a necessary evil. it just sucks that directv didnt wait to rollout the software untill around the 2-3am time frame.

take a look in this thread
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=143153

3. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Well running CE so it didn't happen to me but that is rediculous. It should have been put off till the middle of the night. They should have thought that one through.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    For whatever reason, it appears that once you select to do it later, the message will come back again in 10 or 15 minutes. When the message came back, you weren't there to select "postpone", and when that happens it will always act, because it assumes nobody is currently watching.

Regarding why would it do it during prime time: Many units locked up today for whatever reason. Apparently D* determined that the new software would cure that and wanted to get it out ASAP. I think that's also why they continue to send the message out even after "postpone" is selected. When it determines inactivity for a certain period of time it sends it out again, because they want to get his new firmware out to machines so that there's no more lockups.

Inconvenient? Yes. But isn't it better than if you would have showered and gone out to eat or something only to come home and find your unit locked up with nothing recorded all evening?

5. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    maybe the techs threw the switch early tonight so they can goto the bar:goodjob:

6. piper28

piper28 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    It popped up another box asking the same question for me about 10 minutes later. Definitely obnoxious, and even if they did have lockup issues earlier, I'm not overly convinced it was necessary to push this when they did. (All the more so since I'm not convinced it fixes the lockup problem, because right now my hr20 seems to be totally non-responsive.)

All this to add some features of dubious real value? Definitely thumbs down on how this went through.

7. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    One would think that after the massive reboot/lock-up from last week, Directv would be a little more sensitive of stuff like this.

Shows what I know...

8. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I believe it was thought through. Unfortunately, not all posts are.

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No, I don't believe that was why it was done. It was to reduce the likelihood of further lockups.

10. piper28

piper28 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    If the system can go a week between lockups, one would think they could chance that it could last another 6 hours or so to get through primetime. End result is the same anyways, lost recordings.

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Possibly, but what about the units that were currently locked up and nobody was home to notice? Sending the update would reboot them so they wouldn't be off all night (or in my case, the rest of the week since I'm out of town).

12. jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    There should be an option when downloads are sent during the day on how long to delay the download (1hr-2hr-4hr etc.) so it doesn't interfere with afternoon-primetime recordings. :)

13. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I agree and I think if D* regularly did downloads during the day this would probably be an option. Unfortunately, I believe the urgency of todays download didn't allow for the time to put that option in place.

14. bpvh

bpvh New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Both of my HR-21 units were dead to the world when I came home. Had to pull and put back the power plugs to get them up and running. Are you suggesting that a s/w update would have fixed this condition? Phooey.

So, I have the units up and running. D* sends down the update s/w command. I select postpone because primetime is about to start in my timezone. I come back a few minutes later and its downloading the update. While I may not have been actively watching at this point (and I thought the whole point of a dvr is that I do not have to actively watch in real time), the dvrs were supposedly actively recording two shows. This is not inactive.

15. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    What about my HR20-700 that was completely locked up? It wasn't going to magically download the software. It didn't decide to update until I watched TV for 3 hours after I got it reset.

16. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    MY HR21 updated at 4:45 eastern time yesterday I had just gotten home from work and sat down to watch tv for abit and it asked if I wanted to download something from D* and I went ahead and let it.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Today's download was a bit odd in its timing. Usually they take place in the middle of the night. Also, you all have probably noticed they're less frequent now... 14 weeks since the last one for many of you.