1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I need to run two cables?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jonesjj42, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Jonesjj42

Jonesjj42 New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    I am currently RVing so I am using a phase III dish with an Aspen SLP-3 LNB and get a great picture through the HR22. I am a bit confused though in the fact that Ithere is only 1 connector on the RV and 2 on the receiver. I asked and was told that I could hook up a single cable but would not be able to record 1 program while watching another. ok, so be it. What I have found is that with only one line from the dish to the receiver, there are certain stations I cannot get. I have all the HD channels; MSNBC but not CNBC, etc. When I hook up the second line, EUREKA.. everthing works. Is this normal?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    When you run the set-up are you telling it you're only using 1 tuner? Is the tuner you're using #1?

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Interesting setup - you have an older Phase III dish with a newer SL3-type LNB attached? I assume this is for better portability. Reception will suffer a bit with the smaller reflector, but that's not your issue here.

Don't know why you would not get all channels on one cable. Maybe the built in multiswitch in the LNB is bad? The LNB head has four outputs, have you tried each one? In the System Setup screen, is the HR22 set up properly as having a Slimline-3 dish? (*not* Slimline-5.) Is a BBC installed at the receiver input, as required?

I'm assuming here that the coax cable in question, has a direct uninterrupted run from the LNB, to the BBC, to the HR22, no splitters or other stuff in between? Are you by any chance trying to use cable wiring that came installed in the RV from the factory? RVs that are prewired for cable are notorious for having hidden splitters in the line. These are incompatible with satellite usage and could easily cause the symptoms you are having.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Keith

4. Jonesjj42

Jonesjj42 New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    I appreciate the assistance.

Yes, the HR-22 is set to one tuner and the cable is direct connected to the #1 tuner through the BBC.

The picture quality is really good, even with the small dish. I have darn near 100% on all 101 transponders and upper 80s low 90s on 99 and 103.

The RV is wired for both satellite and cable. I tried hooking it up to both the satellite connection through the wall (one cable only) and direct connect to the receiver through the BBCs, and the setup is for the Slimline LNB3.

I have no problem running two cables, just wondering why.