1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do receivers reset themselves?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by OkanoganEd, Mar 8, 2010.

1. OkanoganEd

OkanoganEd New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    For the past few months both of our receivers ( R15-500 & DRD435H )reset/reload randomly. Much like the 30 second unplug process or reseat program card.

I checked the signal levels measured on both receivers. On clear, sunny days all transponders read over 80.

The antenna is oval with three LNBs.

I use the auto switch feature on the DRD435 rcvr to auto config option to config the antenna. It always returns "Simple Switch".

Can the simple switch be the trouble? Or what common component causes this? Do the recivers use a beacon?

If not the switch what? 2 marginal receivers?

How do the rcvrs determine SNR is poor?

Thanks

Ed

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    How's your AC power quality? Is your DVR powered using a UPS?

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Yep, quick commercial power brownouts or power dips can cause it.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Are your signals on 119 good? Do you have a tree or something else blocking the LOS? If so, the boxes are losing guide data, and after a while, they will reboot themselves trying to get it back.

5. OkanoganEd

OkanoganEd New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll put all three responses here.

Both receivers are protected by mid price range surg protectors, but no UPS. They are`on different circuit breakers. Guess I'll have to look for something that will record loss of primary.

There aren't any trees in the line of sight.

How does the simple sw work? I'm wondering if there are active components in the sw. Is it possible that the feeds to each receiver being interrupt by the switch?

Again, thanks for the help.

Ed

6. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I doubt it's your multiswitch. Simply losing the signal should not cause the Receivers to reset. It's much more likely that you have some sort of AC power or grounding issue. Or perhaps they're overheating? Are they in an enclosed cabinet?

7. OkanoganEd

OkanoganEd New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    I doubt it's your multiswitch. Simply losing the signal should not cause the Receivers to reset. It's much more likely that you have some sort of AC power or grounding issue. Or perhaps they're overheating? Are they in an enclosed cabinet?

I'm working the power & grounding issues. Researching an APC ups/surge protector device at $50.

Over heating not an issue. Rcvrs on open top shelves.

Can you give me any specs on "simple Sw".

tKS AGN

Ed

8. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not sure what sort of "simple SW" specs you're looking for. I think your Receiver is just telling you that it's configured to use the dish's or your external multiswitch. What sort of dish do you have? Do your Receivers connect to a multiswitch, or directly to the satellite dish's LNB outputs?