1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some HD Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by enigma96, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1 of 20
    enigma96

enigma96 AllStar

May 22, 2005
    When watching certain HD channels, like say USAhd it looks very grainy. Is that normal with HD channels? And are all HD channels 1080i, is their a list somewhere that has a list of channels and what they broadcast in?

2. Feb 8, 2009 #2 of 20
    studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    USA will often stretch the picture, even on movies that don't need to be stretched, which adds artifacts/grain in addition to the ugly distorted picture. But their original programming looks ok. I just watched a recorded episode of Burn Notice and it looked pretty good. It wasn't pristine like some channels, but still looked good.

3. Feb 8, 2009 #3 of 20
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I know what you mean, it is not from stretching or distortion either.

I have actually seen it on some other HD media before as well not through Directv. It almost looks like over sharpening artifacts that you get when working with picture editing.

4. Feb 8, 2009 #4 of 20
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    I don't recall seeing anything stretched on USAHD. Maybe they did when they first went to hd, but not in a long time.

5. Feb 8, 2009 #5 of 20
    MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Here is a list of the D* HD channels. I think it is out of date. I don't see Comedy Central.
    http://www.digitalcaffeine.com/directv/hd/index.php

If you set your DVR to Native On and enable 480p, 720p and 1080i you will see what the broadcast resolution is for each channel. I say 480p because I think the SD channels look a little better at 480p and not all TV's support 480i.

6. Feb 8, 2009 #6 of 20
    enigma96

enigma96 AllStar

May 22, 2005
    Thanks for that link, its pretty helpful.

7. Feb 8, 2009 #7 of 20
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    From another forum:

8. Feb 8, 2009 #8 of 20
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    It may actually happen in production of the show, especially on the original programming on many of the national networks. To save costs, they may shoot episodes on Super 16mm motion picture film. It can do high definition, but as it is a smaller negative the grain will be somewhat more noticeable. I'm on a mail list for video professionals and another member does work for all the Law & Order series and he had complained about the "look" of the show when they switched to Super 16 (they have since gone to shooting on video).

9. Feb 8, 2009 #9 of 20
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Makes sense. Burn Notice is one that is very noticeable with a grainy look.

It actually can be a really neat effect at times, just at others seems like it degrades the PQ.

10. studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    I have watched several movies and other programming on USA that have been stretched. I will admit, I have not watched USA a lot lately, just Burn Notice, but I will check it out to see if what you say is what I perceive as well.

11. studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    Maybe you are correct in this case, i.e. what the OP is talking about, but there is no doubt that I see additional blocking, mosquito noise (looks like grain), etc. on stretched pictures. Like I said, maybe the OP was talking about something else than what I see on stretch-o-vision, but then, I don't see a lot of grain on Burn Notice (not stretched) and you seem to.

12. studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    Ok, when I am wrong, I will admit it. I think I was confusing USA with TBS in regards to stretching. I also forgot that I watch Monk on USA as well, and am happy with the PQ there. I just turned on one of the Lost World movies playing on USA, and it looked very good, no issues at all. In fact, the PQ on the Lost World movie was better than on Burn Notice and Monk, so maybe they are adding some additional grain, particularly to Burn Notice. I take back my previous comments regarding the stretch-o-vision as regards to USA, and place them squarely on TBS, and other channels such as TNT.

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I wish I could take a screenshot on Directv2PC to show it, but it is very obvious on Burn Notice. Probably more so than any other show I watch regularly.

Not bad like I said, just an effect that I think looks a bit overdone in some areas, but good in others.

Stretch-O-Vision is different and much worse though. I know what you are talking about how that adds blocking/etc. I HATE stretched stuff, especially when the network does it so I cannot unstretch it easily.

14. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I watch Monk on USA and definitely notice more graininess during that show that on other channels.

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Seems like USA shows like the grain filter effect. Psych is the same way.

Some of the HD commercials and some other shows I have noticed do not have it though. So it is obviously not Directv's compression adding it.

16. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I'm not sure that it is an intended effect, I think it may have to do with some of this programming is fairly low budget produced with a little less expensive equipment.

17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Guess that makes sense as well.

18. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Now I can agree with you! The stretching on TBS, TNT, et al is very annoying, to the point of keeping me from watching those stations.

19. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    "Friends" looks like absolute crap on TBS. My wife turns it on in the afternoons and I turn off the TV the minute she leaves the room. :D

20. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    "The Shield" also used the grainy look for most of their camera shots for their entire series run.

When FX aired it in HD for their last season, it made it look horrible.

HD + grainy effect = lousy picture quality.