1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does Chiller look so bad?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Artwood, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Artwood

Artwood Legend

May 29, 2006
    Chiller looks worse to me than any other channel DirecTV offers bar none and by an extremely wide margin.

How many would agree that Chiller looks worse than any other channel?

Why does Chiller look SO BAD and why does it look worse than any other SD channel?

I ask because my wife loves it--it is so bad that I absolutely can't watch it--I don't watch much SD but I can stand SD if I really like the content but Chiller makes me almost puke.

Does anyone know if Chiller will ever go HD?

When I used to be on Dish she watched the Monster channel and that wasn't so bad because it was HD--it looked fatastic but then Dish started compressing it additionally.

It still didn't look too bad because it was HD--the bad thing was that my wife enjoys horror films and now the main option she has on DirecTV is Chiller.

Now I know that DirecTV may not be able to control exactly when Chiller will be in HD but it would be nice if DirecTV had at least one horror channel that was in HD.

Failing that--heck I'd even take Chiller in average for DirecTV SD quality.

Please somebody help me--the greatest horror and CHILL that I currently have is coming home and seeing my wife watching CHILLER in all its beyond horrific SD quality!

Why is the picture quality of CHILLER so bad?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I am moving this to the "DIRECTV Programming" forum for continued discussion about the SD version.

For discussion about when the HD version will be added please discuss it here....http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=147711

3. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    The lower the ratings, the more D* compresses the channel. Shhhh, it's a secret. ;)

4. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    It's gotta be the source. I don't doubt that DirecTV is adding compression, but we just started getting the channel on FiOS, and it still looks like crap. Any additional compression is just salt in the wound. One thought - I don't know if DirecTV gets it or not, but if your wife is into horror, I'd check out FEARnet. It's VOD only, and they do have some crappy movies on there, but as a fellow horror fan, I find it better than Chiller. Like I said, I don't know if DirecTV offers FEARnet on demand or not, but you never know.

5. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    To me, it has always looked worse than most other SD channels. But I can't see that it's any worse than it's ever been before. The were supposed to roll out an HD version last year but that unfortunately never happened.

6. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    The source is probably lousy but D* definetly adds compression. In fact they compress SD more than any provider I've seen. they bring SD down as far as it can go pretty much.

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 17
    Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    I agree it looks like poo poo, I think they only play movies that they dug out of the trash of third run movie houses.

8. Feb 6, 2009 #8 of 17
    Prince Oz

Prince Oz Legend

Jan 15, 2009
    I watched a Dragon movie on Chill last night. I thought the picture was pretty darn good. In fact, most if not almost all my SD channels look good. They are not HD quality, but they still look good.

9. Feb 6, 2009 #9 of 17
    Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Yo thanks for pointing out that VOD channel. Nice stuff on it.

10. studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    Bottom line,,,,we need our Chiller HD!!

11. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    I agree.

12. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Chill-HD doesn't exist. yet.
    But even when it does, all those old 80s/90s tv shows they run aren't going to look much better in HD. The movies at night should improve, but the bulk of the schedule so far is old stuff done on fading video tape.

13. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Yes we know Chiller HD doesn't exist, that's why we say we need it. ;)
    Even the SD will look much better with the extra badwidth the HD channel would provide. The reason it looks so crappy to me is the damn compression artifacts.

14. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    Chiller was supposed to launch an HD feed by Halloween last year but did not. Anybody know what happened?

15. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    NBC/Universal (owned by GE) that runs both Chiller and Sleuth canceled the HD launches of these networks back in the fall. There's talk we may see them later this year, but with the economic situation and many corporations cutting spending, it's looking less and less likely.

16. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    AFAIK,FEAR Net is not available via DirecTV On Demand.
    I had inquired about this channel for On Demand sometime ago,but I never got any feedback on that question.
    I may try and check on it again pretty soon.

17. bg4

bg4 Mentor

Oct 26, 2008
    On my HR22 Chiller looks perfect but on the HR23 it looks awful - both receivers SHOULD be setup then same - at least they are both set to 1080 and NOT NATIVE. I'm thinking its the receiver but perhaps the TV? HR22 connected to a Toshiba - only gets 1080i and the HR23 to a ProScan which I believe gets 1080p