1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

why does DTV keep calling me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pakcyclist, Jun 28, 2013.

1. pakcyclist

pakcyclist Mentor

Aug 13, 2009
    For about the past week, DTV has been calling -- shows up on caller ID -- but doesn't leave a message. Any idea why? Is this just to get me to buy more programming, or could it be for something more important?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For about the past week, DTV has been calling -- shows up on caller ID -- but doesn't leave a message. Any idea why? Is this just to get me to buy more programming, or could it be for something more important?

It could be DirecTV, a 3rd party, a scammer, you name it. only way to find out is by picking up the phone

3. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Do you have a pending service call/installation?

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If you've ever had Premier, and then cut back some on the programming, it seems (at least at my house) to generate an out bound telemarketing call about twice a year trying to woo me back.

5. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA

Is your acct up to date ? I know I have been behind sometimes, and they start calling.. Just a bit of info...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or any really old equipment? I'm not sure of the status of the old guide that they are getting rid of. But in that case I'd think you'd get a message unless your ring count is too high.

7. Jeffro

Jeffro AllStar

Dec 23, 2006
    DirecTV does have a do not call policy. Just type in "Do Not Call Policy" in the search engine at their website. Also call them at their regular customer number 1-800-531-5000 and ask why they are calling you and tell them to put your number on their "Do Not Call List."

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    1.) It may not be DIRECTV in spite of what caller ID may say.
    2.) I'd first find out what it's about. It may not be a marketing call at all.

9. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Does your caller ID show an actual phone number? If so type the number into Google and you'll see the actual owner of the number. If it doesn't but it says anything other than Directv then it's a scam. I've traced "Police Benevolent Society" to some clown in Charlotte who's been busted many times for charity scams like that.

10. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    One time I got a call from D* and It was to offer me the Extra HD pack free for three months. Of course you should also be able to get it free online. Speaking of the HD pack, my three months are up a the end of this month, so I need to cancel for a few days. We also got a call a few days ago concerning a survey. We told them to call back at a later time. Can't say for sure that it was really D*. May have been some scammer fishing for personal info.

11. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    I haven't had many phone calls but about twice a month I'll get a letter from them wanting me to sign up and get Directv. Humm I've been a customer for 8 or so years. O well I just store them in the file 13 trash can :)

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I haven't had many phone calls but about twice a month I'll get a letter from them wanting me to sign up and get Directv. Humm I've been a customer for 8 or so years. O well I just store them in the file 13 trash can :)
    pretty sure that is a 3rd party reseller

13. Kromagg73

Kromagg73 New Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    If it is from Directv, you can call them at 1-800-531-5000 and request to not receive calls from Directv. That might help, only reason i would think they were calling is if you were past due like most other companies. However, there is an option that the tech can put no calls, so try that and see if that helps.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The only "phone call" I received form DirecTV when I was past due, was a 721 extension on my TV screen...... !rolling

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OP/TS

Did anyone help anything at all?

16. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You should take them up on their offer. Get a new Genie, great programming discounts, etc. plus the installer will love you when he discovers the dish and cabling is already installed! :cool: