1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Does DVR Default to Cinema Previews Channel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by etexlady, Aug 28, 2013.

1. etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    I've noticed in the last few months that when I turn on the television, it is always on either the Cinema Preview channel or the Customer Information Channel. I know what channel the television was tuned to when I turned it off and it was not either one of these. When did this start and why? I find it very annoying.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

it does not happen to my HR34 or HR24

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've never had that happen as you described. Any chance you're 'butt-dialing' the channels or a pet is pressing on the remote overnight?

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't know of any that are supposed to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

5. bossfan50

bossfan50 AllStar

Apr 28, 2007
    I have been experiencing the same thing. It has been happening over the last month or so. It is so implausible to explain that I did not bother to post it here until I saw your post. I find that the TV is on a completely different channel than what I last left it on and it is not just the Cinema Preview or Customer Information Channels i.e. today when I turned the TV on it was on the Spike channel and I don't even watch that channel so there is no way that it was there when I turned the TV off. The TV is on completely random channels different from where it was last turned off. It happens on my HR22-100 but not on my soon to be retired HR20-100. I am definitely not "butt dialing" and I am the only person in the house with no pets so there is no explanation for it.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Could it be the "you might like" feature?

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Any strange events in the History?

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    How many banners do you have starting at 125 and when where they all recorded?

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Did you by chance leave the TV on a "temporary" channel?

10. etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    The DVR in question is a HR-20-700. There is nothing unusual in the History. I don't watch any of the pay per view channels so don't even have them activated in my channel list and don't see the banners on the PPV channels. I'm the only person in the house so I can't blame it on someone else. The dog doesn't have any interest in any programming, even Dog TV, so he's not to blame. I do some recording overnight but those shows record and it would seem the tv should still be on that channel. It's not worth a phone call to tech support but I was just curious to know if I was the only one to have this experience. I do have a HR-22-100 in the Den and it works as it should.

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Can you give us examples of what channel you'd expect the DVR to be on?

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    With FiOS I expect the DVR to show either the last channel watched or last channel recorded. Once in a great while the unit shows the FiOS tutorial channel, which causes me to scratch my head but doesn't cause me to call and complain.

13. etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    Not sure why that matters as the last channels watched/recorded vary but, like billsharpe, I expect the tv to be on the last channel watched or, if there was a recording scheduled, the last channel recorded. I just find it curious that this is happening. It annoying but not worth a call to tech support.

14. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    That does not happen on my HR 21-100. It remains on the last channel I was watching unless it recorded two programs simultaneously while it was off, in which case it comes back on one of the two channels it recorded. If I leave it on a temporary channel when I turn it off, it comes back on with a blank screen and a "channel not available" message in the banner.

If it has downloaded a software update, it might come back on a different channel, but that does not happen very often. Even if I lose power or otherwise unplug or reset the receiver, it comes back on the last channel I was watching (or the last channel that it recorded).

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If there's a channel you'd like it to be on in the a.m., the safest thing is to set up a recording for that channel, a series link. Have it keep only one episode. Make the recording very short, very long, whatever you want.

I agree it should be on the same channel as where you left it, but that really gets screwed up when there's a recording overnight. Still, it should be as you say, but it isn't. My method also takes care of buffer problems, be they set top or human error induced.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok here's why he's asking about the channel its left on. If it was recording something on an alt channel and that alt channel was taken off air then it would have to find a new channel and it'd default to 201 or whatever it is.

If you show all channels in the guide you could see the banners at 125 which show you movies that here pushed. I'm wondering if maybe its trying to grab pushed movies as it should an for some reason trying to grab two at once instead of only one at a timeout its supposed to.

I also wonder how often this is happening. Yet did move some channels around recently in terms if say configuration and maybe the tv was left on one of those stations and when it moved the DVR defaulted to then setup channel instead of following it. That would be channel specific as well.

There are situations where this can happen and it make sense without anything be wrong. But not to many.

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    It makes a big difference. If they are left on temp channels the channel goes away. When a channel goes away the unit takes you to channel 1.

18. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Your access card is dying. My R22 did the same exact thing. Sometimes, if you unplugged it from the wall and then powered it up it would say "please insert access card". If I pulled the card out and put it back in it would work.

Luckily for me I had the DVR for less than a year so DTV replaced the access card for free. The card is guaranteed for a year.

In your case, you might have to put up with your problem or pay $20 for a replacement card.

Try powering the unit off and removing the access card. Then plug it back in and see what happens. Perhaps the edge connector isn't making good contact.

19. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Are you sure your not hitting the down arrow twice accidentally on the remote? As that does trigger DoublePlay and reverts to the PPV preview channel, It could happen if the TV was off but the receiver was on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's happened to me many times. A minor annoyance cured by a click of the remote.

Rich