1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does PI only work in one place?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by garywitt, Feb 10, 2013.

1. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Hope someone can help....

Installed May 2012 - here is my setup
    SWM 16
    HR34
    HR22
    HR21
    C31
    (I don't know off the top of my head the exact nature of the cabling off the SWM16 - I know there are one or two "after-market" direct runs and the existing in-wall home cable is tied into the SWM as well)

I have a cat5E (from a 5 port switch connected to my router) directly into my HR34, and then DECAs installed on the other receivers. When my system was installed the installer placed the PI at the location of the HR34, as below:

wall->splitter
    splitter-> HR34 on one leg, PI on the other (output port of PI capped)

I recently bought a new media center and painted, and had everything disconnected for about 24 hours. When I reconnected, I attempted to move the PI to a coax port I am not using in an office (which was tested by the installer and working, in fact he installed the DECA adapter on this port before I realized I could connect directly to the HR34), and I got an error message regarding the cabling (can't remember the number, but is the same message I get when the PI is not plugged back in). I tried to put the PI on the HR21 and HR22 with the same splitter setup I had before, with no luck. I then tried to put it back on the HR34 as it was before and could not get the message to go away. Rebooted all receivers, no luck. Called DirecTV, she had me reboot and power cycle everything again, no luck. The CSM said the splitter install was incorrect and had me remove the splitter - now the coax goes from wall to the PI, then from the PI directly to the HR34, and reboot. Everything worked.

I'm glad everything is working, but I don't really want the PI behind the HR34 (too many plugs there already, too hot, too much congestion), and would much rather put in the office or the basement, out of the way. Why did this not work? And why would the splitter method not work after it had worked for so long. Trust me, I checked and double checked the connections multiple times...

Thanks!

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It should work, but the path from PI to SWM needs to go through the power-passing ports on each splitter it passes through.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It works in many places. Just as Bob mentioned above, if it's on a splitter, it needs to be on the power passing port all the way back to the SWiM. Or better yet, on its own coax on the power port of the SWim.

4. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Thanks guys - got it. I didn't realize only one port on the splitter was able to pass the DC power - I have a 4 way splitter outside attached to the SWM-2 port, and the locations I was trying to use were attached to the non-power passing port on the splitter.

Thanks! I have another questions regarding connected home but will post in another thread...

5. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Wait...one more question...

Does the PI have to be on a line that is eventually connected (through the appropriate power passing splitter ports) to either the SWM1/PWR port or the PWR port? Will SWM2 not work?

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If the PI is inline with a receiver, that receiver and its splitter MUST be connected to SWM1/PWR output on the SWM16 switch. you can alternatively (and preferred method) connect the PI directly to the SWM16 dedicated PWR port. SWM2 does not power the dish

7. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Got it thanks!