1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does the 622 "Park" itself on some random channel?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Nightmare, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightmare

Nightmare Legend

Nov 2, 2002
    My 942 would go to "sleep" after 4 hours but remain on the last channel.

The 622 appears to jump to some random channel when it shuts down after the 4 hours. Is there a way to stop this or do I need to disable the "sleep" mode.

What is the point of this anyway, are they just trying to get more "hits" on the channels that no one watches?

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    I turn mine off in the evening. The next time I either turn on or push the select button the channel last viewed, including OTA, is on.

3. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Yup.

4. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Got any teenagers? :lol:

5. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    or a neighbor with the same remote setting?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Is it always the same channel? I've never seen my 622 go to a channel I didn't leave it on except when I had a recording during the "off" period. Then it usually can be found tuned to the last channel recorded.

7. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Nightmare what happens when you placed the unit in standby and then back out of standby. I would expect the same behavior. I have not noticed my changing channels but then again I don't really pay that much attention in the morning. have to give it a try tonight.

I would also think possible you might have a neighbor with the same remote address.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Another possibility, although less common... is if the channel you happen to have last been watching is blacked out at the time you turn it back on.

This happens to me sometimes if I shut off while watching ESPN... then turn on during a game that is blacked out in my area. Then I believe my receiver comes back on and tunes to one of my OTA channels or something.

I forget, it has been a while... but it does behave a little unexpectedly in this odd circumstance.

9. Nightmare

Nightmare Legend

Nov 2, 2002
    This might have been caused by the 942 Remote.

I have only had about an hour to play with the 622 and I have been using the 942 remote. It seemed to work fine, but would occasionally "jump" out of DVR mode back to live TV. I think the remote is the problem.

I switched to the 622 Remote and it has not done anything glitchie since then. The TV is off now, I'll see if its on the same channel after work.

10. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    Recently I had two recordings scheduled back to back and overlapping (the 622 used separate tuners). When I turned on the 622 just before the overlap it was tuned to an OTA channel that I had not selected. I guess it was to make sure I was not using a tuner that was going to be used by the DVR for recording.

Rick R

11. GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1 Legend

Dec 6, 2005
    I have to say that we had this happen this morning. It's the first time that I have seen this with the 622.

Basically here's what happened. When we went to bed last night we turned off the 622 while it was tuned to channel 122 (SciFi). When we turned it on this morning, it came up on Channel 9 (KQED, the local PBS channel).

I have no clue why it happened. I've seen this with my TiVO, but never with a Dish receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.