1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does usa vs canada game have to be on msnbc? and not cnbc or usa?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JoeTheDragon, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    why does usa vs canada game have to be on msnbc? and not cnbc or usa?
    msnbc HD is not on that many systems while cnbc and usa are.

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You'd have to ask NBC Universal that question.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You won't like the answer...

NBC has determined that the ratings for this game will be lower than for the other events scheduled. They are particularly concerned with the lack of "female" appeal of the game and the other events scheduled have a much higher chance of drawing that audience.

I told you wouldn't like it, but like it or not, that is how NBC is thinking and I know that this isn't liked but in spite of Hockey having some of the most rabid sports fans around... your numbers aren't what they used to be.

4. Radioactive_Toy

Radioactive_Toy Cool Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I hate to agree, but thats as dead honest as its going to get. The US vs. Canada, while prolly a huge draw for ratings in Canada, just wont have the same ratings draw as say a figure skating event would at the same time. As much as a lot of us enjoy watching hockey, and really want it in HD, its just not gunna happen. Epic Fail on D* for not having MSNBC-HD setup for these games, even if its only 2 weeks and goes back to SD after its over. I already called and complained about it with them and was giving my little something to make up for it..

5. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    Oh, this is an Direct TV thing? 'Cause I was gonna say MS-BS is in HD on E*.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Hockey is what I want to watch.. Thanks D* for not giving us MSNBC HD.

7. beachmonkey

beachmonkey Legend

Jan 16, 2010
    Just goes to show, D* doesn't care about their reputation and business practice. After all, they did lie about having an All-HD Olympics for weeks and weeks and even advertised it as such on the day of the Opening Ceremonies. They did indeed sweep it under the rug and act as if they never advertised it as such. NBC isn't to blame as they are just following their audience and historic data. Blame Darth Vader and whoever else is on the D* board for this lame fiasco. It won't be forgotten for a long time, even if they shoot the moon with D12.

8. wallybarthman

wallybarthman Godfather

Feb 4, 2009
    Definitely. My local cable company has MSNBC HD and it was almost enough to convince me to keep it for another month until the Olympics were over - but then common sense prevailed and I cancelled and will put up with the SD version. But yes - MSNBC has been available in HD for a while, DirecTV just doesn't have it.

9. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    NBC may of said no to doing that. IT's not like D* can put it for 2 week and then drop it.

MSNBC is not that good in ratings and that's why many cable systems do not have it.

10. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    So does comcast Chicago land

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    !Devil_lol

12. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I agree, I'm sure the 10 people on here who really care will never forget. And I'm sure DirecTV is incredibly worried about what all 10 of them will do.

13. frank_gore

frank_gore Mentor

Mar 17, 2009
    Actually USA/Canada women's hockey game was shown live on USA at 2pm CT yesterday...

14. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Because we live in a sick corporate money hungry society that only cares about advertising and blasting our ears with 100+ db commercials of Luke Wilson and crappy AT&T service :nono2:

NBC is in 4th place for a reason, they're idiots.

I've vented enough on these Olympic games. Not being able to watch them live is enough for me, I tried and tried to find another avenue to watch them live, but I can't find anyone with a Slingbox in EST or CST

So I'm done with the Olympics.

15. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    USA play China yeterday, not Canada.

16. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Hockey fans get confused a lot. Too many pucks to the head.

17. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    i think that your beef here is with directtv, not nbc. the channel is available in hd, directv doesnt carry it for whatever reason.

nbc knows that people will call up and demand the channel because of this, so it is win win for them.

18. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Sooo...... the game is actually scheduled to be shown when????

19. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Please, let us keep this thread on the topic of USA vs. Canada on msnbc. I've deleted several posts there were extremely off topic.

Thanks,
    Tom

20. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    An alternative is to watch the game live on NBCOlympics.com. It'll be in HD.