1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't DirecTV carry BBCA in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by steveT, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveT

steveT Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    Been searching the DirectTV forums in planning to switch from Dish if they drop AMC. I was surprised to see that DirectTV doesn't carry BBC America in HD. But I haven't been able to find out the reason why; does anyone know? Has there been any reporting on when DirectTV might add it?

2. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    its the most request channel in HD on Directv, but their no sign of it coming to Directv

3. steveT

steveT Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    I'd tried to scan that thread, but it's 51 pages long... Is the reason bandwidth, DirectTV not wanting to pay BBC more for the HD feed, or both? I've now read in a few places that DirectTV doesn't have another bird going up until 2013 or 2014...

Regardless of whether they add it soon or not, I'm still switching to DirectTV if Dish doesn't resolve the AMC dispute. I'll miss Doctor Who in HD, but no way am I missing "Breaking Bad".

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's a top request on here, not necessarily out "in the world."

As for the OP, we honestly don't know. We do know that they are doing some work to increase the number of channels that can be on the satellites. We also have been told by an extremely trusted source on the inside, SatelliteRacer, that more HD is coming this year. He never gives details until the ink is dry and he can publicly say what it is, a few days before going live.

5. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The short answer is D* and BBCA have not been able to come to terms on a carriage agreement...which entails compensation for the right to carry the signal but also includes other things like Digital Rights and length of contract. Bandwidth is finite, but not exhausted. If they could agree to terms, bandwidth would not stop D* from carrying BBCA

6. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    Because they would have no programming for the Audience Network then.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Funny thing is, if they added it now, Top Gear would be SD.

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.