1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't the guide always show the "HD" bug for HighDef shows?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by SFNSXguy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Why doesn't the guide always show the "HD" bug for HighDef shows?

For example, this Friday night 10/8 Showtime has "Hurt Locker"... I'm assuming it's in HD, but the guide does not show that.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Because the networks are not always accurate with the guide data they send to Tribune Media Services, which is where most TV providers get their guide data from. Some networks are quite good with their guide data, and some are awful (Turner networks, for example).

Providers like DirecTV and Dish have almost nothing to do with the guide data, and even Tribune really doesn't have much control over it. There's no way for Tribune to know that the show that, say, TNT is going to show at 7pm on Wednesday is going to be HD or not. Only the network knows for sure, and if they give Tribune the wrong data, how would Tribune know, in advance, to fix it? The answer is: they can't.

So, these complaints need to be directed at the networks themselves, as they're the only ones with the power to fix the guide data.

3. AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    Showtime in particular is bad at labeling shows as HD. A fair portion of their movies don't have the tag, but almost every movie on Showtimes HD channels is in HD. I've even seen instances where original programming was not tagged as HD.

4. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I had to keep manually changing Futurama recordings since nearly every first airing didn't carry the HD tag. The series link would default to a recording the following week since that one had the HD tag.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The series link did that? Not a saved search? I didn't think the series link cared if it was HD or SD.