1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't the Power Saver know Sonic Tap is Active?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by allenn, Apr 12, 2013.

1. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Many times when I am reading or working on the PC, I select Sonic Tap or Pandora for background music. After 4 hours, the Power Saver shuts down the HR24-100 v x66D. I think it strange that D* would ignore either music source in deciding if there was activity. My PCs do not sleep or hibernate if there is media activity. Why can't the HR24 do that?

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Not only that, it doesn't save any power.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The Power Saver feature kicks in when there is no remote control activity for 4 hours regardless of what you are watching or listening to. With no remote activity the unit has no way of knowing you're paying attention.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    On installs I work on, my default setting for power saving is off.

IF it saved significant power, I would ask clients if they want it left active. Since it saves minimal power, and can cause a problem for me in my business, there is no point in having that 'feature' in my opinion.

5. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Thanks for the replies. I think it is weird that Power Saver is activated based on the remote. I guess I will turn the feature off.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, turn it off and don't sweat it. That's what a lot of people do.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Power Saver is a joke that saves no power. It was implemented just to get the "energy star" certification which is kind of meaningless for a DVR when it's hard drive never shuts down.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The difference between ON and standby is like 1 watt. Useless…

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Because it was so poorly written. Sadly, also not surprising.