1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why get HR34?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bradcny, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Bradcny

Bradcny AllStar

Oct 21, 2010
    I hear so much about the HR34, that I am sort of intrigued by it. First, I may be misunderstanding it, but as I do understand it, basically the HR34 is sort of a central DVR, that an RVU such as a C31 accesses from each TV. Sort of a client-server type relationship. However, based on my current situation and setup, I'm not sure it's the right option for me or my family. Allow me to explain: Currently, we have 4 HD DVRs and 1 SD DVR. At any given moment of the day, every DVR is recording something and more than one of them is probably recording two things at once. So, 5 DVRs X 2 tuners in each one allows for 10 shows to be recorded all at the same time. Why would I switch over to an HR34 that only has 5 tuners and give up potentially half our recording ability? I'm so intrigued by it, that I really want it, but am hesitant because of the reasons I've mentioned.

2. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Why not get the hr34? You can just swap out one of your 4 hd dvr's with the hr34 and keep the other 3 units. That will add 3 more turners and if connected correctly all units will show up in all play lists except for the sd dvr, it will be a stand alone unit.

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    As mentioned by removing 1 of your HD DVRs and replacing it with an HR 34, you pick up an additional 3 tuners above what you had.

This allows for the following:
    1. A single managed recording list for 5 tuners where as you had to manage 3 seperate DVRs series managers priorly.

2. A series link bump to 100 in-lue of the max 50 series link restriction on all other current HR2x units.

3. Allows for up to 3 additional Samsung RVU clients or stand alone C31 clients.

4. With the addition of a C31 client, one can now use trick play where as a stand alone receiver simply could not.

5. With RVU, the C31 can be wall mounted or strapped to the back of the TV for wall mounted applications due to its small form factor. Obviously there is nothing to mount when used in conjunction with a Samsung RVU client enabeled TV.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'd replace the SD DVR

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Why not swap it for the SD DVR?

6. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    I think the way you both think, and to put the OP's mind at ease, the HD DVR will actually produce a better picture on an SD set. I've had one HD DVR on an aged Sony SD set for quite a few years and the HD DVR works very well with it via composte audio/video (Y,R,W cables).

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "And of course" the new DVR doesn't need to be where the SD DVR is, so moving an HD there works.

8. jmunick1

jmunick1 Legend

Jan 1, 2007
    Do you have to pay a monthly fee for each RVU client, regardless of Samsung or C31?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    yep

10. jmunick1

jmunick1 Legend

Jan 1, 2007
    Thanks, what is the price? Is it the same as an HD DVR? If so, overall solution a little less attractive from pricing, but the technology is still impressive and a central playlist is convenient.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    HR34

C31

You may be able to get discounted pricing by calling DirecTV

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    DirecTV "looks at them" now as "TVs", so $6/month, regardless of what is used.

13. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    One additional benefit with the 34 is a 1 tb hard drive.

14. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    One additional benefit with the 34 is a 1 tb hard drive.

Too bad Directv doesn't understand your signature. Yes, indeed, we do need more tuners, hard drive space, and a way to back it all up and move it from DVR to DVR.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Who said you had to switch? I have a HR34, (2)HR24 & a HR21 plus a H25.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And of course there are more benefits to the HR34 than the 5 tuners and RVU.. PiP, 100 series links, plus whatever they add in functionality in the future that is exclusive, like they did with Genie Recommends.

17. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    I'm currently using whole home with cat-5. if i upgrade one of my receiver to genie with i need to go to coax networking? not that it's a bad thing....

Now I just need to remember if my LNB has a SMW-8 or 16....

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    HR34 can do Ethernet, H25 and C31 cannot.

If you have a SWM LNB it's an 8. Directv only installs a 16 on setups with more than 8 tuners, and at that point it's not on the LNB.

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes, but you would also need to put a bsf on your line. I'd call and see what dtv will offer you. They generally will only install if they also put you on coax networking, and maybe you can get it all for free.

20. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    Not necessarily if you use a BB DECA w/ power inserter in reverse with them.