1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why has this problem not been fixed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by djwww98, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    I am still experiencing periodic breakup in both sound and picture while viewing HD. I notice it most on ESPN, probably because that's what I watch most. However, it also happens on all other HD channels. Showtime was unwatcheable one night last week. It is intermittent. When it happens, generally, it is a half second to one second break in audio and some pixilation on a portion of the screen every 30 seconds to every minute or two. It doesn't sound like much but the audio breakups are enough to make me extremely angry while watching something that is dialogue intensive. As I say, it is intermittent, with no pattern that I have been able to observe. Some days it would be fine. Sometimes, it might go days at a time with no problem. Other times it would be bad part of the day, sometimes all day. It is NOT weather related nor is it signal strength related. My lowest signal strength is 91. Most are 95 or higher. Except 103b which ranges from mid 70's to mid 90's.
    HR20-700, powered from an APC UPS. The latest software was just pushed down yesterday; 0x1b4. I was hoping this would help but it didn't.
    I have tried turning off and on. I have reset many times, include some RBR's. Once or twice the reset seemed to help, but it seems to not help lately. Being an intermitent problem makes it pretty tough to pin it down. I have disconnected the ground from the grounding block, and have reconnected it... no change apparent. I know this has been brought up before but have never seen a solution.
    Anybody? Anything?

2. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well, you are going to get the standard responses.

1) It's a problem at your end.

2) It is one of two things: either the LNB in your dish (70%) or your receiver box (30%).

3) It will require a service call to fix. It is NOT software (and don't let the tech "fix" it by resetting your box).

Basically there is a frequency drift in your system that causes synchronization to be momentarily lost. This can be temperature related. I'd bet on the LNBs for the Mpeg2 sats (119? 110?) since you mention ESPN and SHO.

3. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    I should also mention it also sometimes happens while watching OTA HD. Cable from antenna comes directly to OTA input on box.
    I know I am going to have to finally make that call to D*. Just looking for any alternative; not looking forward to going through all the BS it's going to take to get this POS replaced.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The problem hasn't been fixed because you haven't had somebody out to fix it.

All this anger and frustration over something that hasn't even happened yet.

I bet if you go into the service call with this level of hostility, you're going to have a perfectly awful experience.

Sometimes the problem isn't just in the boxes. :rolleyes:

5. loganbay

loganbay Mentor

Oct 15, 2006
    10 to 1 its a glicth on the hard drive!

6. eric.starwars

eric.starwars AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I have the same issue but only with ESPN HD. Iv called them 3 times about it and they dont have any reports of trouble with ESPNHD. So I guess it keeps on doing it.

7. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I have fixed many picture and sound breakup problems over past six weeks.

2 Bad lnbs
    2 Bad units 1-H20 1-HR20
    3 Bad BBCs gray ones.
    3 Line of sight issues "trees in the way"
    4 Old or bad cable lines "needed replacement"
    1 Screw on connector behind cable plate.
    2 Calls where sat signal was on cheap push on jumpers cables.
    1 Bad HDMI cable.
    1 wrong multi switch.

Check what you can or call for service.

This stuff works solid once you get rid of the problem.

Matt

8. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm NOT the only one with this problem. If there was a solution, would this not be the best place to find it? I am completely and totally reasonable and polite when I talk to people on the phone, regardless of the situation. You are reading too much into this. No hostility. Just frustration. I am not looking forward to spending an hour on the phone, scheduling some install tech to come take a look, waste half a day for him to reset it or it must have been rain fade or whatever. If he were looking at it right now as I am writing this, there would be no problem. Working perfectly. From what I have read over the last several months on this forum, D* doesn't even acknowledge this problem, thus it would not be unreasonable for me to not look forward to dealing with them over this. Yes, this time, most likely the problem IS the box. :nono2: Right back at you. I also have an H10 that does not exhibit this problem.
    I'm just sending the flag up one more time to learn as much as I can about this from other people who have the same problem before I start dealing with D*. If you have nothing constructive to contribute, go away.

9. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Yes you get further with honey versus vinegar, and I'm sure your appropriate on the phone, don't worry so much if people misconstrue what you write on the forums, it's easier when your face to face speaking to be clear. Online can be tricky when you write, sometimes it comes out wrong. We all make errors sometimes. I think the purpose most of the time is sincere help to and from others.

10. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    This would surprise me since it happens just as often when viewing real time, not using the hard drive. Unless I misunderstand how it works. I thought the real time buffer was not located on the hard drive. I haven't been able to find any corelation with any trick play or recording activity or lack thereof.

11. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006
    I have had the same issue as the OP, but its been across all of the new MPEG-4 channels, as I don't even have any of the "old" ones set up in the guide or in the SLs. Had noticed it on ESPNs and some ST games, but last night was trying to watch some shows on Discovery Times HD and it was worse than it had ever been, at least it seemed.

As I bought this thing thru Costco and they have amazingly liberal return / exchange policies, should I take the HR20-700 back to them and get a new one before I call and have a "service" call out? IF Costco has them in stock (they had pallets of them the other day), it may be lots quicker as the service calls were running about 2 weeks behind last I checked and with all the new HD, it has to have gotten worse as to when they will show up. Also, the local contractor is really sorry (Bluegrass something or other) and it could well take several visits to get anything more than an HR20 exchange accomplished.

Best advice? Other ideas? (Note: box is about 45 days old.)

12. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Wouldn't most of these, like bad lnb's, line of sight, bad cables or connections, etc, result in lower or inconsistent signal strengths? Thanks for the response. It's all pretty new cable (RG6) and I'm not using HDMI and no multi switch. I'm still thinking it's a bad box, but keep the ideas coming. It was doing it before I put the BBC's on.

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    djwww98, of course you should post here with your problems. I hope you get them solved. As was wisely pointed out by one of the mods here, you should be entertained by your entertainment.

Get somebody out to take a look at the system. It is so global that it has to be something that will be easy to trace by a competent tech. That's the first step. My post started with that advice and I think it's quite constructive. So far no one else has suggested it.

Maybe I should have just stopped there. :sure:

I wish you a good day, djwww98.

[​IMG]

14. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I am not suggesting that the harddrive is the problem but, even "live" TV is first recorded to the HD.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    First of all take ESPN out of the equation. I think there have been some legitimate issues on the broadcast end.

As far as the other issues, it does seem to me to be a hard drive thing. If you're consistently unhappy, get it replaced.

To MIKE0616: Costco has tightened up their return policies of late, and I think you might find them actually paying attention to the sticker that says the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV. At any rate, if you return it there is the possibility that when you activate the other one, DIRECTV will ask for the first one back and without it, you're out $500 or something like that.

16. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006
    With ESPN, that is what I thought as on OTA, I am getting some problem with ESPN on game broadcasts as well as on D*. That is why I was wondering if it was a bad box when it was happening on other channels as well.

Is there a way to format the hard drive? Have looked at the menu for setup and didn't see it there, but if there IS a way to do it, I can lose my recordings and will give that a shot. If the drive is funky, it can lead to all sorts of errors for the software to ATTEMPT to deal with that can often be resolved by reformatting, sometimes. (In over 40 years of computer hardware design, this is one thing that has remained consistent. :D )

As far as Costco goes, they only tightened up on TVs and computers and a few other things. When I asked them about it when I bought it, they said they would service it as well as anything D* would do for the 1st 2 years, so it really made sense to buy from them (unit was also 30$ cheaper from them than BB or CC.) Hopefully, this can be resolved without a trade-out as I have about 47 SLs and all the other settings peaked so my wife can use it as well. :D

BTW, after E* and Comcrap's units, she likes the HR20 as well as the TiVo offerings.

17. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Yeah, but you cant't go by that. My wife likes Moxi better than any of them. ;)

18. Skins Fan

Skins Fan Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    It is kind of hard to help someone when they are already convinced the product is a POS and that's the problem. I had the exact same problems and yes, also with the OTA stations. It turned out that I had at least 4 things causing it. The easy ones were found and fixed by me and some problems cleared up. The major fix that changed everything for the good was a dish replacement by *D. I now have no picture problems that I was having, what-so-ever. There really are not that many things to check. You can find all of them here on this forum.

19. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Tag, you'r it! Give him the list Skins Fan.

20. Skins Fan

Skins Fan Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I really can't right now. I am working with Joe Gibbs on another forum trying to get things worked out for him.:lol:

You give it a shot ----- or maybe Stu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.