1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Have You Suspended Your Account? I Did it to Boycott Content Providers.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RACJ2, Jul 9, 2011.

1. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I suspended my account back in May, because there is a lull between the NHL CI season and the NFL ST season. I figured it was a waste money, since we mainly watch network programming, when there is no NFL or NHL. I also thought of it as a way to boycott DIRECTV price increases, but with Dougs insight "Content providers want to stick it to all carriers (Comcast, Verizon, DIRECTV, DISH, Google TV, you name it)." [link], I've decided that I'm actually boycotting content providers. No money to DIRECTV = no money to content providers.

Today is my normal payment date, so its my second full month of not feeding the content providers. With my prorated credit, I have now saved over $239 toward my $270 investment in an OTA DVR (which works quite well by the way). One more month and its more than paid for. And I'll have the OTA DVR to do the same thing next year and save even more.

So why have you suspended your account and how much have you saved?

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I haven't. I wouldn't be "sticking" it to anyone. The only one going without, would be me.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    So exactly how does a boycott work if the companies aren't affected by it?

The content providers get the exact same $$$ whether you have suspended your account or not. Assuming they know about your plan, why should they care?

Even if they were affect financial by your suspension, it would be less than parking meter change. This makes a difference to them how?

Ceasar Chavez caused a change in labor condidtions for migrant farm workers by his leading a lettuce boycott in the 1970s, but it worked because it affected the growers. How do you plan to make the same difference here?

Sounds to me like you just didn't want to pay the money each month. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not a boycott.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I suspended mine for 4 months, and paid for a Tivo Premier for OTA use. I actually was using it with Xfinity TV (which looked fine), but they have some system issues in my neighborhood, and as long as I have TV and HSI from them, the HSI would drop out for 5 minutes to an hour, several times per day. Since they could not correct the issue, I dropped the TV, and reinstated my DirecTv account. Now, no more dropped HSI, so far anyway.

Dont really have any complaints about pricing. All the providers (excluding new customer promo's) are within $5 of each other after factoring in HD access, DVR fee, etc. I do miss AMC and HLN in HD, but gained HDN so its a wash for me.

I did gain a Tivo Premier with Lifetime from the deal, with the money saved for those 4 months, so now I have an OTA DVR with internet apps to compliment my HR24, and dont need to tied up the HR24 to record network stuff anymore, plus I have access to all those subchannels Directv does not have in their database here, and can record those too.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm starting my boycott small, one person at a time. I guess I'm the second person boycotting, since based on posts like this [link] from Ceaser's distant relative Gloria_Chavez, she was first.

Now if millions of DIRECTV subscribers follow my lead, DIRECTV will drop providers when contracts end to save money. DIRECTV will have lower costs and pass that along to subscribers. Content providers will come crawling back with reduced rates and I have accomplished my goal. I know I'm dreaming, but anything is possible. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I mentioned its a waste of money if I'm not watching anything but programs I can get OTA. So I guess I'm saving money, by not wasting it, but I'm not doing it because I don't want to pay money. And since I meet the definition [link] "to abstain from buying or using", I'm boycotting, whether it affects the content providers directly or not.

6. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Congrats on taking the initiative, but just do it because you want to. It won't have the desired affect. Good luck.

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    To symbolically wave an extended finger at the content providers is a time-tested and totally appropriate way to boycott their service. :)

:righton:

Shoot, wrong finger. :nono:

:D

8. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Congratulations on the free Tivo Premier. I'm basically doing what you did, but not paying for any other provider. Then using that savings to cover a Channel Master (Echostar) OTA DVR, with no monthlies and pocketing the rest (no cost for lifetime). Your advantage is that you can use your DVR for cable, I can't. And I'm not leaving DIRECTV, since they have the best HD coverage for NHL and NFL games. As soon as one of those seasons begin, I'm back.