1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why HD Extra Pack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by CalmWind, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalmWind

CalmWind Guest

Oct 1, 2007
    Anyone have a good reason why D* is moving some HD channels to an Extra Pack tier? It appears to me those channels are the "Real" HD content providers. Many of the other HD channels will be supplying massaged HD content and more than likely very little of their content will be actual HD.

I am assuming they will charge extra for the additional tier.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether the majority of the new HD channels are actually better than the current non-HD channels? I currently can't watch SD content in a 16:9 ratio because of problems with burn-in (black pillars unacceptable).

Sorry to ask such questions, but I have 6 more days to decide if it will be worth it for me to upgrade and be tied to a two year contract.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Yes, there will be a $4.99 per month charge for the HD extra pack. These are channels with no current SD counterpart in the DirecTV lineup and do result in additional costs to DirecTV because of that.

But, there are only 6 channels currently listed as going to the HD extra pack. The new HD channels look great to me and will be the overwhelming majority of the new HD channels.

3. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    They are moving the channels that do not have an SD counterpart into the Extra Pack. The $9.99/month HD Access Fee is just that - Access to the HD broadcast of the SD channels in your package (except of course ST, which is a whole other thread).

In this case D*is damned if they do/damned if they don't. If they leave these channels in their HD Access and raise the fee, some will complain, "Why should I have to pay for channels I don't even watch?". If they move them to an Extra Pack, others will pine, "Why should I have to pay for channels that I have gotten so far?"

And yes your assumption is correct, there will be an additional $4.99/month charge for these channels. Currently the channels that would fit into this package are HDNet, HDNet Movies, Universal, Discovery HD Theater, MGM and Smithsonian.

4. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    The major reason from what I can deduce of the situation is D* is trying to keep costs in line. They are almost accepting also that some customers will not care about the 6 channels in the HD pack. Those 6 channels are not being subsidized right now (they were when the HD package was only 9 channels) but with HD expansion in full swing it is a different situation where costs are increasing. I will personally subscribe to the HD pack but like many customers the HD pack will be no big deal since they will have a fair amount of HD content anyway.

What kind of D* system do you have now? You mention that you have 6 days to upgrade? Huh? If you are an existing customer going to a 5 LNB system you might be able to get D* to reduce the two year commitment (depending on how good a customer you are) and get the equipment for free. I might be wrong but from what I remember legacy HD customers (which I think descibes your situation) get the separate HD pack because all you can get is the 9 HD channels available currently to you. Good luck!

5. noneroy

noneroy Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    i think it's reasonable. You pay extra for HBO or Showtime. These are premium channels that cost extra. I'd rather they tier things than pulling a Comcast and upping everyone's rates. $5/month seems reasonable for MGM-HD and HDNet Movies alone. I mean....Bond movies in HD and OAR. What more do you want? And the PQ on these new channels is astounding, IMO.

6. sacalait

sacalait Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    West Palm...
    +1

For me it's MGM and Smithsonian that makes it a no-brainer. :scratchin

7. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I absolutely agree. However I'm already paying $10/mo (in part) for three of these channels and it's completely wrong that they are being pulled from my package and I am being asked to pay more to get them back.

Charge me for the new ones but don't mess with the ones I'm already paying for.

8. CalmWind

CalmWind Guest

Oct 1, 2007
    I followed the path and was offered a free HD DVR with a 2 year commitment. That was done on the 24th of Sept., but the install isn't until next week (Oct 17th). I suppose my biggest worry is being stuck with a 2 year commitment and a refurbished box, and then finding out the quality of the new HD channels is not up to par. Currently I have a Samsung TS360 HD receiver, and added a Slimline the other day.

I may end up going out and "leasing" a new one since I can do a self-install. I would still have the commitment, but at least I would have a new box.

If the new channels have good video quality, which is what some are saying, I will be OK with the commitment. I do know for sure, the quality of HDNet and Discovery HD is very good. I hope the Discovery HD Theater is the same.

9. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Right now you are watching HD Theater, not Discovery HD. The new channels (when they show HD) look better than the current MPEG-2 channels you get now.

10. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    Yeah but again why then have a package called Premier when it doesn't include ALL of the non-sports/Int'l channels. Premier pack subscribers should get these channels w/o having to pay extra for it...

11. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Contact DTV and tell them.

12. jazzy007

jazzy007 Mentor

Aug 23, 2007
    I believe Discovery Theater is on regular HD Access not Extra Pack. Look for "HD Theater" symbol.

logos_na_premier4.jpg

13. GP245

GP245 Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

14. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    What are you trying to say? :lol:

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I suspect that many subscribers won't feel they watch any of those channels enough (or may not even know they are missing) to warrant the extra $60/year they will cost. This won't affect Smithsonian, MGM, or MHD, since they are new, but will probably represent a revenue hit to HDNET and UHD, who are now getting at least a small piece of the $120/year pie. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-evaluate their decision to go "premium" in the future, the same as many former "paid subscription" web sites are now free.

Just my .02. /steve

16. rucknrun

rucknrun AllStar

Jul 16, 2007
    Smithsonian HD is beautiful. That bites if it is going to the premier HD pack.

17. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    I will scream bloody murder if I have to pay a red cent for these, and they're not in MPEG4.

HD-Lite = no f'ing way I'm ponying up a cent for these.

18. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    The problem with this is they have been charging us $10 a month for some of these channels for the past several years. Now they will not inlcude the channels we have been receiving (HDNET, HDNET Movies, UHD, etc) in our $10 a month HD fee.

It's absolute bulls h i t!

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    SURCHARGE SURCHARGE SURCHARGE!

20. alevine1986

alevine1986 Godfather

Jul 10, 2007
    The 7 channels that are HD only probably have the best picture of all the HD channels. However, the 6 that are going to be in the HD Extra pack are not channels I watch, so I wouldn't pay for just a nice picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.