1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why I returned my Xbox One

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by wilbur_the_goose, Dec 17, 2013.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I was walking thru Target on Sunday morning, and saw an Xbox One just sitting there. I'm an electronic geek, so I bought it. I took it back for a refund today.

Here's why
    1. The integration with TV is quite poorly done. The guide is almost worthless. For example, the D* PPV channels all were missing information. There is no way to record a show from the Xbox.

2. The PQ just isn't as good as straight from my D* receiver.

3. The BluRay player isn't as good as my Oppo

4. Xbox Live is required for everything.

5. Xbox Live Arcade has been killed off.

6. The speech recognition is very slow

7. The Kinect motion sensor never really worked and I tried everything to make it work

8. The NBA 2K14 game graphics were awe inspiring. However the game play was no better than a 360.

9. The value proposition just wasn't there for me. YMMV

2. am7crew

am7crew Legend

Jun 5, 2009
    Every complaint you mentioned has been discussed and known since the xbox one was first revealed. Google always helps and could have saved you the trouble.

3. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Nice review. I've heard the XBone graphics support up to 900p (1600x900), which was deemed "good enough"

-=K=-

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    1. I found the guide to work perfect with Directv.....are you sure you completely set it up correctly? It was never meant to allow you to record tv to the XBOX as least with Directv.....
    2. I found the PQ to be identical, its a pass-through....
    3. DUH...Many of the Oppo's are among the absolute top rated players available, you knew that or you wouldn't own one.
    4. DUH

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you might want to put an space there...

6. Jan 1, 2014 #6 of 12
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That is kind of the nickname for it...the XBone..... :righton:

7. Jan 3, 2014 #7 of 12
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My son's still talking to the thing. Every time I walk by I say, "Xbox shut off", drives him nuts. Little victories count too.

Rich

8. Jan 3, 2014 #8 of 12
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    does it actually goes off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Jan 4, 2014 #9 of 12
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno, I usually do it on the stairs and he just yells.

Rich

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    thats hilarious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He blocked my voice somehow! Now the Xbox only answers his commands. He said every time I told the Xbox to shut off it came up with a menu that asked if he really wanted to shut it off. Lost another battle.

Rich

12. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I bought one for my son for XMAS and just had to have Amazon ship me a replacement unit. The box seemed to be running fine, and then I tried to play a DVD a a couple of weeks ago. After I put in the DVD, I started getting the dreaded "Please insert a DVD or valid Xbox game message." Figurign I had nothing to lose, I did a reset to factory defaults and it started working again. However, last week it started up again. It didn't do the long grinding noise so many people have posted on the Internet, but it would do a slight grinding noise when I would insert a game or DVD. After failing the second time, I went online to Amazon and started the return/replacement process. We then turned it off and my son went back to his 360. Just for grins, we turned it on the next day and it was working fine. Thankfully Amazon's return policy is top notch and they shipped us a new one with 2 day shipping. The frustrating part of it was that it was sporadic.

Overall it's a decent console. The one thing I think is annoying is that you can only play online with people that have the same console (i.e. Xbox One with Xbox One or Xbox 360 with Xbox 360). So my son and his friends have to call each other and then agree which console they are going to use before they go to Xbox Online. We're not running our DirecTV through it, but we do have the 360 plugged into the HDMI In port. That way, my son doesn't have to flip the input on the TV to go between both consoles. Instead, he just snaps the TV app in and out when he wants to switch.