1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I'm about to switch to Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dkerr64, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1 of 154
    dkerr64

dkerr64 New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I've been a DirecTV customer since 1997, if not longer. Lately I am getting increasingly impatient with DirecTV and am tempted to move to Dish. Specifically..

- The HR-20 DVR (the only device I have) has a really sluggish user interface.
    - The hard disk is way too small, lots of (HD) programs deleted before we get round to watching them.
    - No Slingbox or equivalent. Everyone else has a solution (at least for in house which is all I need) for iPad/iPhone streaming.
    - Nomad... an extra box, you kidding? And it doesn't even stream live. And you want me to pay for it when everyone else has it supported directly from the box (ViP922) or with free adapter (ViP722/622) or directly from cable company servers.
    - DirecTV2PC. Have been waiting YEARS for them to make this work on Apple Mac. Doesn't even work in BootCamp on iMacs, nor Windows in VMware. Come on DTV.
    - BBC America -- Where is the HD feed? Huh?

DirecTV claims lots of extra HD channels, but not the mainstream ones. If you exclude sports networks, then Dish top 200/250 packages have more, way more.

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that these problems are all going to get fixed in the next month or two. Else I think I'm off to Dish.

DAK

2. Oct 10, 2011 #2 of 154
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You may want to only suspend your DirecTV account until you're sure the grass is greener on the other side. Good luck.

3. Oct 10, 2011 #3 of 154
    BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Okay, you're wrong!:p
    Seriously, you're the only person that can determine what is important to you. Other than the small hard drive comment none of the other items are important enough for me to make such a move. I have two DVRs and each has plenty of space for me, but they are newer. None of those things will be fixed soon enough for you so it's simply a matter of choice. Good luck and if you do switch let us know how it all goes fo anyone else who may consider switching either way.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #4 of 154
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

5. Oct 10, 2011 #5 of 154
    TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    I'd move to Dish asap if I were you. It seems they have all that you need.

6. Oct 10, 2011 #6 of 154
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The slow HR20 issue will be resolved shortly.

7. Oct 10, 2011 #7 of 154
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Seems like we've been hearing that for just over five years and to date, the trend has been towards slower.

8. Oct 10, 2011 #8 of 154
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool.
    You can fix this with an external hard drive. Not a pretty nor economical solution, but it works if you get the right parts.
    Get a Slingbox (or whatever Monsoon is offering these days). It should work just fine with an HR20.
    nomad is about having the content loaded. Many claimed that it was a streaming solution but they were fantasizing that it would be much more than DIRECTV2Go.
    This is a significant omission but DISH doesn't do this any better.
    An even more significant omission. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool.

9. Oct 10, 2011 #9 of 154
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Fortunately, actual customers with actual firsthand knowledge and use of the HR20 with a certain feature have proven this. Keep stirring the pot. :rolleyes:

10. Oct 10, 2011 #10 of 154
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I guess "sluggish" is a relative term. I have an HR20 and I dont find it sluggish at all. Is it slower than the HR24? Probably, but not to the extent that I would call it sluggish.
    EDIT: but apparently I am a fool

I am curious though, and this might be my own ignorance because I dont know a thing about Dish, but cant you add a 2TB drive to the HR20 and add a slingbox cheaper than the startup costs of Dish? :confused:

11. Oct 10, 2011 #11 of 154
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Or a Vulkano for even less.

12. Oct 10, 2011 #12 of 154
    msimanyi

msimanyi New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Speed can be helped a bit. I followed instructions from one of the threads on here, cleared the NVRAM and turned off scrolling effects, and that has certainly helped.

Here's a link to one thread discussing the NVRAM: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=192729&highlight=nvram

Scrolling effects can be turned off from the Display Preferences menu.

Hopefully the anticipated new HD GUI has a more pronounced effect.

As for capacity, your box should have an eSata port. Plug in an external eSata hard drive, restart your box, and you'll have all the capacity of that drive. You won't have access to your recordings on the internal drive, and you'll have to reset your Series Manager selections, but it's incredibly nice to have a ton of storage so easily.

I like the Western Digital external drives. I just picked up a 2TB unit from a local computer store for right around $200. It's not the cheapest way to go, but the case is nice and I trust WD to put together a box with a reliable power supply.

Good luck with your choices.

Mike

13. Oct 10, 2011 #13 of 154
    scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    just switch to dish and get it over with

14. Oct 10, 2011 #14 of 154
    Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    I notice HD picture quality was not on your list . . .

Now before the flames begin . . .

I used to pooh-pooh this argument until I walked into my installer's store last week, intending to sign up for DISH, because I was tired of how DirecTV new customers get everything on a silver platter and long-time subscribers are expected to pay full price for everything or beg for discounts.

The store was showing an ESPN NFL preview program from DISH and DirecTV, side by side on the exact same size and model TVs (new 50" Sony Bravias, calibrated exactly the same way. I verified this.).

The DirecTV picture was far sharper and clearer.

On DirecTV, NFL game-action video was sharp and unpixilated; the DISH video was soft and blurry. On DirecTV the lines on the studio personalities' faces showed up as clear as if you were standing next to them; they were very, VERY much softer on DISH, almost like looking thru an old pair of glasses.

I never believed the argument about HD picture quality being so different. I believe it now.

15. Oct 10, 2011 #15 of 154
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Though, and I have no reason to doubt this, I've heard from multiple sources that SD looks much better on Dish.

16. Oct 10, 2011 #16 of 154
    scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    u don't happen to be a directv customer ?
    now that explains why directv's picture looks better

17. Oct 10, 2011 #17 of 154
    Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    As I mentioned, I am a DirecTV customer who was walking into my installer to set up an imminent DISH install. I was doing this because I am mightily displeased with the company's "caviar for the new customer, gruel for the masses" way of doing business.

18. Oct 10, 2011 #18 of 154
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Having had both services, I'll address what hasn't been addressed so far.

- I had HR20's for years, so I can tell you from first hand experience they are significantly slower than my Dish 722k. But, as others have said, a speed increase is coming soon, really and truly.

- Sling works fine and is free, unlike a stand-alone slingbox you could buy today for your HR20. Unlike Dish, slinging your HR20 takes over the whole DVR, so those watching locally have to watch what you're watching. And if you intend to use it a lot outside your home, make sure your ISP has a fast upload speed or you'll be disappointed.

- BBCA HD looks fantastic on Dish as do all the other HD channels. DirecTV HD PQ is indeed superior, but the visible difference is not significant to most people.

The system definitely favors new customers. With Dish you'll get new equipment, new customer deals, free unlimited blockbuster rentals and all the HD you desire. Two years from now DirecTV may have caught up, and you can switch back and get their new customer deals and the newest equipment. So you really have nothing to lose.

19. Oct 10, 2011 #19 of 154
    jssp8s

jssp8s Cool Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I find SD to be clearer on Directv. I just switched over from Dish. Dish is good, but I switched because of sports.

20. Oct 10, 2011 #20 of 154
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not everyone is a fanboy, anymore than all Dish subscribers are.

If you feel the Dish picture is better, that's fine. Personally, even if it was better, there are other reasons I stay where I am. I don't think DirecTV has had outages like Dish has had this year for one.