1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why is ABC download fast on one computer, but slow on another?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by philmalik, Feb 22, 2011.

1. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    I have 2 computers running Windows XP with the program ABC downloading torrents.

Laptop #1 is a very old computer, yet it's download speeds far exceed laptop #2's speeds (which I just bought used).

I have the same version of ABC running (2.6.9) and have opened up the correct ports in my router. I made sure each laptop has the same settings for ABC.

I have turned off windows firewall on laptop #2 (the newer one), but yet the download speeds are much slower on the newer laptop #2, for the same torrent. No other firewall software is running on laptop #2.

Was wondering what other setting I could check to see why laptop #2 is much much slower.

Thanks

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Drivers?

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Are they connected with wireless? If so, check your signal strength.. Could be your newer computer is getting a bad signal.

Internet speed is way slower than network speed inside your house, so technically, there should not be any difference. If you are using both together at the same time, the torrent site might be limiting your speed on the second connection as well.

4. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Both computers are running wiressless-ly. Both have good signal strength. And I ran a test having each laptop run ABC while the other is closed down. Same results. Old laptop download speeds still are much faster.

I thought the setting would be in the windows firewall, but shutting it off makes no difference.

Any other thoughts?

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Check that your drivers are up to date.

6. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Are you saying like drivers for the wireless modem?

7. mgusler

mgusler Mentor

Aug 6, 2002
    My guess its something other than the wireless settings. Maybe an antivirus program or something else running in the background. You can boot into safe mode and see if that improves your throughput. I'd also try downloading to both PCs over a wired connection if possible.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If this is Windows 2000 / XP - get DRTCP from DSLreports.com and do a tweaktest to adjust your network settings.

IF you're using Vista or Win7 - disregard this advice.