1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why is CW in Baltimore still SD?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by StringFellow, May 18, 2012.

1. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Anyone know when CW broadcasting from Baltimore, MD will switch to HD on Dish? DTV and Comcast both broadcast CW Baltimore in HD and wondered when it will change with Dish?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Nothing special about Baltimore. Most markets on Dish do not have their CW in HD via Dish.

3. Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation Mentor

Apr 16, 2012
    No clue, m8, but you can get the feed for free using OTA so little to no big deal, there

4. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Unfortunately I am still in the Baltimore broadcast area but too far to receive OTA. At least the SD reception from Dish is better than my local Comcast SD.

5. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I will submit a program request form for CW in HD to our programming department for you. Thanks.

6. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Awesome, Thanks Ray! :D

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    All you really need to do is wait for next year or so - That's when legislation kicks in that if any stations in a market are HD, then all in HD.

Talk about spectrum crunch !

8. Mark Martin

Mark Martin Cool Member

Nov 12, 2009
    To me this is one of the big differences in DirecTV and Dish. DTV put a heavy emphasis on carrying all the local HD stations in most markets. This has not been a major issue it seems to Dish. I wish Dish carried the CW HD channel in Birmingham.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Are you referring to the carriage regs? What if a local station isnt transmitting in HD yet, do they have to switch to HD or lose their transmission license? Out local market CW is not in HD, not just on Direct or Dish, but there is no HD feed yet, its strictly a sub-channel to our local HD ABC channel.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Perhaps that wasn't stated clearly enough (although I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I meant) -

If any station in a DMA has HD on DBS, then all stations that have HD broadcasts should have HD on DBS available.

11. ronfelder

ronfelder Mentor

Jan 9, 2006
    Can you do the same for the CW in Philly? Thanks

12. ccrowe3

ccrowe3 Cool Member

Jun 24, 2010
    And Atlanta.

13. gargoyle8

gargoyle8 Cool Member

Mar 1, 2008
    This is great news but how is it possible? Here in Tallahassee, CW is available in HD on Comcast but only SD with Directv and Dish. It is an SD OTA subchannel (49.2) of Fox HD (49.1). Does what you are saying mean that the primary Fox HD channel will have to lower the bitrate to make room for a HD subchannel. I have heard of HD subchannels being done in other markets with not so good results as far as picture quality goes. At best, the picture quality would only be as good as Netflix 720p streaming from what I understand.

CW has come out with some good programs in the past few years. I thought I was the only person that was wondering why no HD love. SD OTA and SD Dish picture quality sucks so bad for this channel that I go to Youtube to watch.

PLEASE Ray, add me to that list in Tallahassee. thanks

14. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Add Albany, NY if you would.

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    You misunderstood what scooper said - what it REALLY means is, if any stations are HD over-the-air, then DISH must carry those said HD stations in HD on satellite. There is NO law that states stations that offer direct HD feeds to cable co, MUST also be carried in HD on satellite.

NOT necessarily; if DISH can get a direct HD feed from that (CW) station - just like Comcast does - then they could carry it in HD on DISH. There are some markets where DISH has done this very thing, mostly for the "big 4" nets where some might be broadcast OTA as (SD) subchannels as well.

Not always; you DO realize that both ABC & FOX, as well as cable nets like ESPN(s), natively broadcast in 720p as well. 720p IS still HD & can look as good as 1080i; it's all in how much compression is used.

16. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    This is a good time to point out that all the superstations are still SD-only as well. :(

17. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    The one's you get in the Superstation pack are, most are available in their respective markets are in HD.

18. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Wasn't there a situation going on about a year ago where some stations in the Superstation pack were provided in HD to those subscribers who were within the HD spotbeam? It may have occurred by error, but I recall that it was occurring for a lot of subscribers. Is that still going on?

19. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    WWOR-HD was on Conus for some reason. Not sure if this was ever corrected.

20. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    WWOR HD is still available to some superstation subscribers. It is not nor was it on Conus for those subscribers. You have to be within the spotbeam coverage to get it and only on the real channel, not the mapdown.