1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is DTv So stupid

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by DC_SnDvl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Why can't they get sports blackouts correct. They have the Clemson vs. Miami game blacked out on ESPN. The local ABC affil is showing Michigan vs. Penn St.

If I go next door where they have Comcast they have both games.

I wish they would stop F'ing us by getting blackouts wrong.

The CSR's are stupid and just say Duh' when you call.

2. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Try Channel 210

3. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    works, but not in HD

4. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    CSR supervisor said that Comcast bought exclusive rites to show the HD feed in the DC area.

Does this sound legit?

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Does your Comcast neighbor have both games in HD? I know our Comcast only has one ABC station in HD.

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
  7. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I am watching it in HD on ABC and then ESPNa has it as well.

8. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    That's because it's in your local market. You should have Penn State on ESPN.

I have Penn State on ABC and ESPN is blacked out because ESPNa is showing Miami.

9. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
  10. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yeah, that is strange.

11. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    again, that is a directtv problem, not picking up the espn alt in hd.

12. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The article linked has nothing to do with Comcast buying "exclusive right to HD in an area" nor is such a thing legal under SHVIA.

Here is the deal. It is the same every week.

ABC will carry several games on a regional basis. Generally a game from the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10, with an occasional game from the "Big" East as well. The Big 10 game is on a "reverse mirror". That means if your local ABC has a game other than the Big 10 game, then you get the Big 10 game on ESPN. If your local ABC has the Big 10 game you get the "best" (ABC's choice, not yours) of the remaining games on ESPN.

For example, this past Saturday, ABC had four games. Clemson-Miami; Penn St. - Michigan; Oklahoma - Kansas; and Oregon - Washington. If you lived in the Midwest you got the Big 10 game on ABC, the ACC game on ESPN; and the other two games were a part of the pay-per-season Game Plan package. If you lived elsewhere, you got one of the other games, with the Big 10 game on ESPN, and the remaining two on GP.

Now this is acomplished differently due to system limitations. On cable, they just change the feed. You do not notice that you are watching an "alt" feed. If ESPN is, say, channel 45, then channel 45 shows you whichever game you are supposed to get, the Big 10 or the ACC, as appropriate.

DirecTV cannot do this. So the regular ESPN channel (206) or the alternate ESPN channel (210) will be available to you as appropriate.

Now to HD. This is just DirecTV's choice. It could have an ESPN alt 210 HD up next weekend. It just does not. This has NOTHING to do with Comcast buying "exclusive rights" to anything.

I suspect that in some future upgrade, the system will have the ability to assign the same channel number to two feeds, such that ESPN 206 to you will actually be whichever game you are supposed to get, just like cable.

13. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Here's a thought...

Instead of questioning DirecTV's intelligence with regard to the blackout issue.. Why not question the MORONS who created the myriad of rules creating a system that is almost as complex as tax codes just to govern who can and cannot see a sporting event.

14. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    because I don't think we will ever change the morons.

I am still trying to figure out why we always get the Big10 games on ABC when we are in an ACC area...

15. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Because the college football rules are not complicated and D* continues to drop the ball week after week while cable gets it right.

Put the blame where it lies.

16. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Only the main channel 206 is in HD the alt. channels are not. Also have you look at Comcast stickin it to DirecTV again. There are rules that DirecTV HAS to follow.

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Umm, DirecTV (leaving out its HD allocation decesion) did not get it "wrong". The OP simply tuned to the wrong channel.

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    NO! NO! NO!

The Miami game was NOT in HD anywhere. ESPN does not have the facilities for HD other than their main game.

Your neighbor did not have it in HD. They may have been on the HD channel (Comcast here had ESPNews on the HD channel and the game was on the SD channel only) or it may have been stretched but it was NOT in HD.

19. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Maybe cause Im in Miami this was different for me on ABC.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Sure, leave out the Hd part to try and defend D*. D* botched something similar last week when they blacked out ESPN even though that is exactly where ABC was telling people to go to watch the Penn State game when the Texas game went long.

Instead, D* put the Penn State game on the alternate channel rather than lifting the blackout on ESPN.