1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is ESPNU not in HD?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Calvin386, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    That is all.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Because Dish doesn't have an agreement to air it in HD. That is all.

3. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Why doesn't "E" get an agreement to air it in HD? I know I know, they don't want to have to raise our rates.

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Dish and Disney had a dispute the middle of last year which resulted in DISH dropping HD versions of Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC Family and ESPN News.

So, until DISH and Disney end this dispute, ESPNU will remain in HD, as with the channels noted above.

5. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I meant ESPNU will remain in SD, not HD.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How much of U's content is shot in HD?

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    LFINO.

This will probably get resolved with the new Disney Junior channel turning on next year.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH should have never carried those four channels in HD. DISH never had an agreement to carry those channels in HD. They assumed that other agreements pieced together from three separate contracts would allow HD carriage but according to a court of law DISH WAS WRONG.

The case continues ... the channels were pulled when ABC/Disney physically cut the feeds. With a dispute still pending I would not expect ESPN U HD or other channels to be added.

9. nightfly85

nightfly85 Mentor

Oct 6, 2005
    Most programming from a major school (BCS) is usually available in HD on the U. I think with every passing year, more and more will entirely HD - I think it's near 75% now.

Luckily I get ESPN360 cause my broad-band provider Cox cable provides access and I am watching the Texas/Missouri games online in "HD" which is still a much better than that on down converted Espn U via Dish.

10. shadalert

shadalert New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    My sub carries ESPN U in HD and most programs including football and basketball are in HD.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OK, thanks, and to nightfly, too. I don't care about college BBall—certainly not before March, and that less and less. It's lacrosse, and some football that U used to carry a lot on, and few in HD. Glad to see that's changing, more cameras in the field, and so on.

12. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I don't like it but thanks for the answers.

13. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah alot of college basketball is in HD and I want it now dammit! Of course we have channels like LOGO and Centric which show ZILCH in HD.

14. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I want ESPNU in HD also. I also want ESPN3D...but that's a different thread altogether. I wish Dish would get this all worked out.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Send them a few billion dollars (not exaggerating) and I'm sure it will be all worked out.

16. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    +1

17. srrobinson2

srrobinson2 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 16, 2003
    I find it interesting that Comcast, DirecTv and EPB (local power / fiber provider) all have the Disney and ESPNU stations in HD, yet Dish cant "afford" the extreme rates. Give me the option to pay extra for it!

But, this is the same provider who turned off about 30 Fox channels in the middle of football season and screwed their customers for an entire month.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Rates offered one company do not always apply to another company. That was one of DISH's complaints against ABC/Disney. Other companies were getting the channels for free but ABC/Disney wanted DISH to pay for them.

I'm sure DISH has made good long term deals at the right time that other providers (like DirecTV) can't afford at current prices. Providers don't have to make the same deal with everyone. This isn't WalMart with a set shelf price everyone pays.

Get ESPN to allow DISH to sell the channel to you and just you and the people who want to pay extra for it and you've got a deal. That isn't the way ESPN wants to sell the channel. They want more subscribers than just the ones willing to pay extra.

19. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Sorry but I just can't agree with your statement here. There shouldn't be 2 different types of contract for carriage. This is the thing that providers have been trying to do to broadcast stations. There should be only 1 to carry the programming. They are the same shows just 2 different resolutions. I really hope that E* wins this in court to stop this rip off.

20. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Send them a few billion dollars. Do you know what Dish could do with a few billion dollars? Well, they could own DirecTV, not to mention most companies in the world. Who sent DirecTV a few billion dollars so they could start 3D?