1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Why is no one asking? hopper reboots every 4 mins 59 seconds

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by logisnews, Dec 8, 2013.

1. logisnews

logisnews New Member

Dec 8, 2013
    My DVR reboots every 4 mins, 59 seconds. It's hard to time exactly but I'm within 2 seconds... it's done this 14 times now. I've seen lots of posts about "my DVR reboots every 5 minutes'.

Yeah, but why is nobody asking WHY it's so exact? I talked to a couple dish support people and they exhibited zero curiosity about this... they're just going to send me another DVR. Of course I'll lose my programming (again) as I can't hook an external drive up to it and transfer... well actually I can hook an external drive up but at exactly 5 minutes it reboots.

I theorized that such a precise reboot might be a result of:

* Some sort of buffering issue -- content comes in and buffers and then something happens... I thought maybe it was because I recording 2 programs at once. So I stopped recording anything and it still happens.

* An overheating issue. I thought that maybe when it reboots, it shuts down... cools down, starts up, heats up then overheats and shuts down again. So I put my laptop cooling pad underneath and it didn't may one seconds worth of difference... 4 mins 59 seconds. I figured it was a temperature issue, cooling it by a few degrees would make a little difference.

* getting some sort of signal from dish causes it to reboot....

But why in the heck would be be so exact?

Anyway, I've tried the following steps:

(1) Plugged directly into the way, no power strip
    (2) Unplugged and left off for an hour (again after that, 4 mins 59 seconds)
    (3) Unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV... still reboots 4 mins 59 seconds whether it's connected to anything or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jim

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Sounds like you just have a defective Hopper.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well have you tire plugging it into power with the sat feed in the back unplugged as well as any network cables?

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Moving to the Hopper forum...

5. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Try disabling HDMI CEC and let us know if that makes a difference. Also, try connecting the HDMI cable to HDMI 2 on the TV instead of HDMI1 input.

6. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    My first guess would be a watchdog timer running amok.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Care to post a link to these lots of posts?

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  9. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    logisnews,

I understand it can be frustrating when the Hopper reboots and I am happy to help you today! There can be a few things happening, you may have a bad Hopper and it will need to be replaced. There can be an issue with the connections inside and outside of the home.

To better help you with this, please PM me with the phone number on the account to better assist you.

Thanks