1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is there a Tivo Premiere ad on a Sat only Forum?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by texasmoose, Mar 19, 2010.

1. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    [​IMG]:nono2:

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Cause they pay for it.

3. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Uhh, maybe to get you to switch?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ads also may not be limited to dbstalk.com, the site is related to avsforum. Not sure if the advertising is linked.

5. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    If the FCC has their way with the proposed IP gateway mandate, the TiVo Premiere could support DirecTV in 2012-2013. :)

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm not sure if this is how it works here, but on some other forums I am on they sell add space to Google. Google then runs whatever adds they want in that space. For instance on my Ford Truck forums we often see adds for Chevy or Toyota. Nothing the site can do about it as long as they sell the space to google.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Here's your answer:

Like many web sites, some of our ads are served by outside sources. This is a common practice. The serving company scans our site to try to determine what ads would work, and in this case, well they were a little off base.

We can get certain ads excluded but it's time-consuming and I don't see this ad offending anyone.

8. Sysyphus

Sysyphus AllStar

Nov 27, 2007
    Not too sure the ad is too far off base - many of us still mourn the passing of our DTivo's and most of us here have had a good moan about rising prices, not having this that or the other HD channel, snow fade or various other issues with D... I can't think of many better places on the Internet to reach a bunch of PO'd sat subscribers who might be tempted to switch to cable.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    And many of us gave them up willingly. I've still got a couple of SD TV's that I gladly replaced my D*Tivo's with HR2X's for.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Come on guys, don't make me be the meanie here. We have plenty of other threads to discuss TiVo. This was a question about banner ads.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What ads?
    Oh yeah, club members don't see them. :D

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I see the big banner up on top across from the DBSTALK logo.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Check your user control panel [at the bottom I think] and check the box for banner ad.

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    At any given moment there are current, former and future cable subs present on this board. As a current cable sub (still with a 300/500 dish on a pole in the back yard), I clicked thru on the ad cuz I'm verrry interested in what the TiVo Premiere can do for me.

I'm into technology, not just sat tv or cable, or tv for that matter.

I've been hanging around here for almost eight years now, and I can tell you that DBSTalk is about a lot more than (not then) just satellite tv. If it were not so, I would have moved on. If you think this board [strike]is[/strike] should only be about sat, then may I suggest that you seek to broaden your horizons.

15. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    I, too, like Technology. And I do realize that this forum has more to it than just satellite. I just thought it was ironic that's all. I've frequented AVS Forum for years & realize that this forum, like them, has a myriad of resources to tap into & broaden our horizons.

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    That worked ....

17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Google Ads automatically targets ads and advertisers can pick specifics as well. It is a TV related forum, so I am sure in Google Ads view it is TV related...thus something Tivo probably picks as a category.

If it was for something way off base like makeup and ladies shoes then maybe I would be a bit more suspicious of something going on. :lol:

18. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    As I understand it Google Ads are driven by keywords. Since people talk about Tivo here in some aspect or another, it keys on that and displays an ad.

19. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    you don't have to be a DBSTalk Club member to not see the ads ;)

20. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    Yes. The adblock add on for Firefox is my friend.