1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is there never as many D* viewers as E* viewers ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bowtieman, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 1, 2004 #1 of 46
    Bowtieman

Bowtieman Legend

Aug 12, 2003
    I have noticed there is always far less Direct viewers and posters than their is Dish viewers and posters in ever forum I have looked at.

They also seem to have far fewer complaints than the Dish posters. Maybe that answers my own question.

Any other thoughts on the matter...

2. Mar 1, 2004 #2 of 46
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH equipment is plagued with software problems so a lot of their customers post the problems. Directv with a couple million more customers has equipment that isn't absolutely problem free but has far fewer problems, so less complaining. The surprising thing is DISH customers continue to buy more defective equipment and continue bitching, instead of learning their lesson.

3. Mar 1, 2004 #3 of 46
    BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Yes, D*'s equipment tends to be more solid, but it also tends to be "under-engineered" (I stole that term from a review of the XBox vs. the PS2 which criticized the XBox for being over-engineered (too expensive with too many upscale components)) in that the hard drives for the PVRs tend to be smaller, and they tend to skew to the average consumer more, while most of us here tend to come from the technological intelligentsia who get off on tinkering with our toys (and complaining about them much more as well).

The unusual situation is that the D* fans who DO show up often are obsessed with trashing E* (kind of like the Dems and George W...... they just CAN'T change the subject.... for or against W. they NEED to find something else to talk about to win over the centrists who are not THAT intent on getting rid of him).

4. Mar 1, 2004 #4 of 46
    SlicerMDM

SlicerMDM AllStar

Feb 12, 2003
    Two big reasons:

1) E* hardware seems to have more problems than D* hardware. This isn't E* bashing, it's a plain and simple fact. Look at all the issues with the 811, 921, 721, SuperDish, etc... More problems means more people complaining, asking questions about how to fix them, etc. Obviously, E* jumping the gun on releasing this stuff fuels the fire where these problems are concerned.

2) E* has more leaks than D*, lending to lots of rumors, speculation, excitement, disappointment, etc.

5. Mar 1, 2004 #5 of 46
    buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    Having been at DirecTV sub from 96-99 and then Dish from 99-03 and now back with DirecTV I can confirm Echostar has more hardware problems that DirecTV (but then I had DP's).
    I think DirecTV subs are just watching TV ;)

6. Mar 1, 2004 #6 of 46
    BobJ2004

BobJ2004 AllStar

Feb 7, 2004
    Almost ALL the Direct TV customers now have Direct Tivos.

They all hang out in

http://www.tivocommunity.com

There is one for the dual Tuner SD Tivo and the new 4 Tuner HD TiVo.

Most do not even know of this board.

7. Mar 1, 2004 #7 of 46
    Un-nick12

Un-nick12 Guest

if this is true why has E* sold more dvrs then D*

8. Mar 1, 2004 #8 of 46
    Chris Walker

Chris Walker Guest

Almost ALL? There's less than 500K of the boxes in use and some of those are in the same home, it's hardly "all". And like the poster said about, Direct tends to focus on the "joe-six pack cable crowd" with their boxes, and E* has always appealed to the more technically minded as well as those from the C-Band days. That's why there are so many technical chats on E*, they have a large base of subs that are interested in that type of thing.

9. Mar 1, 2004 #9 of 46
    beejaycee

beejaycee Legend

Nov 1, 2003
    :nono: Bob, I don't think that statement is fair or accurate. I am a D* fan and I seldom, if ever, 'trash' E*. :D I have noticed that many of the D* fans who show up and speak harshly about E* are ex-E* subscribers so at least their criticisms have some basis in fact even if they are fueled by emotion. FWIW, I am an E* fan also, though I think Charlie plays it awfully fast and close with sometimes bad results.

I think your comment about the "technological intelligentsia" is more accurate.

10. beejaycee

beejaycee Legend

Nov 1, 2003
    I'm curious where you got your 500k figure.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Bob, just because a box has a smaller hard drive I don't think that you can say that it was underengineeder. DirecTivo's come in both 35 and 105 hour versions, so according to you Dish underengineers their PVR since it does only 100 hours. Frankly, I don't look at a PVR as a device for archiving video, for our family it's main purpose is day to day timeshifting. With that in mind the 35 hour in the standard Tivo is just fine for our requirements.

Also, DirecTivo is a more open box then Dish's products, we can add larger and/or additional harddrives, where as you can't with Dish. Dish does have the edge on a couple of things, caller ID display and RF remotes that I wish D* would put on their boxes, but I can live without them.

12. Crazy 1

Crazy 1 Legend

Oct 20, 2002
    Thats a simple question to answer, since I'm a D* sub. We are usually busy watching tv, while the E* subs (used to be one) are busy trying to find out how to fix their receiver, or trying to find out when the next software download is coming to fix a bug. :)

13. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Some of us E* subscribers can multi-task - laptop with WiFi and a comfortable couch in front of the TV does wonders. D* subs have a tough time chewing gum and rubbin' their tummys at the same time. I rarely have problems with my 508, just wish some 921's would hit the pipeline!!

14. Crazy 1

Crazy 1 Legend

Oct 20, 2002
    There's hope for you too John, Some us D* subs were once E* subs. And got tired of E*'s empty promises and seen the light. Got a lot more time to rub my tummy since I don't have to reset my receiver every day, and more money to buy bubble gum since I left E*. :D

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Plus the HD DirectDVR will be out on March 30th and will actually WORK correct upon their release. Hows that for a concept, a receiver through the pipeline thats already been tested..:D

16. SSW_Exposure

SSW_Exposure AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Just have one question:

Does E* pay it's subs for beta testing their equipment (or at-least give you free programing to help them with the bugssss);
    or do you have to pay to be a guinea pig?

17. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    :lol: thats why they give new subs free equipment

18. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I didn't mean to offend ALL D* subscribers while making my admittedly sweeping generalization, but it seems like every time there is an issue we've got a dozen people (often hiding under the "guest" label) slinging mud or rehashing the same arguments over and over again. Unfortuantely, I'm a counterpuncher and I fall for the bait too easily.

Then again, I'm a Mets fan in Yankee country, so I'm a little oversensitive to the #2 guy getting ridiculed all of the time. Yes, E* has numerous issues, but they have many strengths as well, and I just want to balance out the debate in case some newbies are lurking looking for info on which way to go.

19. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Maybe I'm a heavy user (I'm REALLY spoiled, because my 250GB hard drive in my 921 is 60% full all the time (Whoa, only 60 hours left? better start watching some shows and make room)..... ;)

I agree that my "underengineered" word was a poor one, but I couldn't think of a better shorthand way of saying that E*s hard drives tend to be bigger and they add several other capabilities as well that often complicate the plumbing enough to ensure that there will ALWAYS be bugs to deal with....

20. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Hey Bob, if only Dish receivers had season pass. *bait* :lol:

Seriously though, DirecTV users have problems with their receivers just not as many and the problems usually are not serious.

Also, like Slicer MDM stated, Dish leaks info that cause a lot of talk in the forums.

I have to admit, I almost miss fiddling with my Dish receiver to keep it running correctly. I find myself digging into the DirecTivo menus just to find something wrong but I never do. It's kind of boring. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.