1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why isn't CH2 (our local Minnesota PBS channel) in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Slyster, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

My main network locals (4,5,9,11) all come in HD via satellite. Why not channel 2 (PBS)..? They have such great nature and travel shows etc... such a shame.

BTW.... no.. I do not use OTA... I probably should... but still why didn't D* include this in the 'main' local channel HD offerings?

2. hadji

hadji Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    Either your local PBS station doesn't offer the re-broadcast on the national HD feed or they couldn't afford it. You are not alone.

3. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Also I think alot of PBS stations want all their sub channels carried. All or nothing.. No DBS provider is going to do that. They would have to put up a dedicated sat just for PBS. Ain't gonna happen.

4. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Time to get your OTA setup working.:)

D* isn't going to carry many of the sub channels anyway, so you will get more channels (potentially) with your OTA than D* will ever carry. One sub channel, 8-2 which is Weather Now off the main 8-1 CBS feed here, is particularly useful and us unlikely to be carried via Sat.

I do 90% of my recording OTA, during prime season...and the HR20 does a wonderful job (for me).

Actually my OTA setup works so well with the HR20, that I don't have any analog channels in my Guide. We don't have mpeg-4 here yet...and when we do, I doubt I'll stop using the OTA, as the PQ of mpeg-4 transcoded mpeg-2 locals can never equal getting OTA direct (assuming you are able to receive them). Some report mpeg-4 locals via sat are "almost as good" or "very close"...but still have to deal with the "newness" issues of mpeg-4 and the HR20 (there are many, many threads about trickplay and audio issues with mpeg-4 hd locals via sat that are not present OTA).

Get your OTA system going, you won't regret it.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also, remember PBS stations are not like other networks. They are often community-owned and operated, on second-hand equipment. They may have a digital transmitter but may not actually be putting out much HD programming.

I've also heard the same thing as markrubi, that PBS stations demand that you take the entire digital signal including subchannels. At this point I don't think any subchannels from any digital broadcast are carried by DIRECTV.

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I could be wrong but it seems that the Op was asking why his PBS station is not in HD on satellite. It si my understanding that both DISH and DirecTV have indicated a willingness to carry a national feed of PBS HD but neither has taken on the idea of carrying the individual local HD feeds and that is unacceptable to PBS and its stations.

it is my understanding that most of the stations simply carry PBS HD on one subchannel and that very few of them are simulcasting their full analog programming or offering some other HD feed.

i supect that at some point we will see more PBS HD as well a s digital (and likely HD) versions of the CW, My Network and local independents.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I dont believe D* or E* for that matter is offering anyones local PBS in HD at this time, just the big 4, with a few larger markets also getting the CW and/or My network.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You are correct. The problem with PBS was mentioned by an earlier poster. PBS is not willing to allow DirecTV (and Dish) to broadcast any PBS HD channels without taking the rest of the PBS subchannels - they are looking for digital "must carry". The satellite companies do not want to do this because they will need considerable additional equipment, plus have to take everyone's subchannels, potentially doubling in some cities the total number of channels they must carry. Add to that the issue of subchannels coming and going depending on whether there is HD and you have a very difficult situation. Most commercial stations have built their business plan around a single high-quality HD transmission. Most PBS stations have gone the other way, several SD subchannels carrying different programming. Because the subchannels all go out from a single transmitter on a single frequency, using subchannels is a very inexpensive way of getting programming delivered, when you don't care about picture quality and don't have to concern yourself with revenue from commercials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.